+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bi-wiring...

I'm Phil.

Default Bi-wiring...

...Is that still a thing?

And is it worth doing?

I'm Geoff.

Tried it a few times. Never heard any benefit.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adam.

Default Bi-wiring...

Try it. You might like it; Or you might not. Either way, no-one gets hurt! Unless you trip over one of the cables and bang your head on the speaker, obviously...

FWIW, I’ve heard it make a positive difference but only with a proper bi-wire speaker cable that uses different conductor configurations for the HF and LF.

Doing it with two runs of the same cable is just a waste of time.
    Last edited by Beobloke; 05-02-2021 at 10:12.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Dave.

Waste of time. Buy one run of a better cable rather than two indifferent.

We did it decades ago when Spica speakers appeared from the US. They were the first, as I recall, with two sets of terminals. We used to use mains cable for the LF and taped a Litz cable to it for the HF. Yes, it did make a 'difference' but not necessarily for the better. Bi-wiring then took off, mainly because there was more profit in it but now there are few new speakers with LF and HF terminals.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

I would recomend spending a bit more on a single run of cables, unless of course as others have said; you want to experiment with diffrent cables for the bass and mid/high frequency units.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Matt.

I agree with the above view. Spend the same budget on one better run of cables rather than splitting the budget for 2 lots of lesser cable.

I'm Dennis.

Never experienced a difference, and the cct analysis doesn't explain why there should be any.

I'm Phil.

Yeah, already using quality speaker cable, but something I saw in the 'For sale' section made me wonder if anyone still bothered with it.

I could never fathom how/why it would make a significant difference.

I'm Gordon.

If you can possibly try bi-wiring by borrowing an extra run, or purchasing with a view to moving on if it doesn't do anything for you, you will answer your own question.

Many believe bi-wiring contributes nothing extra, but I have tried it with many cables (and different amps and speakers) and have 'generally' believed I could hear differences, to the extent that I would always use it if the components permitted. (if it doesn't work, why do single run users prefer to exchange their links fitted to the speaker terminals for bespoke jumpers?)

Undoubtedly, a single run of 'better' cable may be superior to two runs of a lesser quality, but it then comes down to what you can afford and whether it will work for you. Experimentation is your friend.
    Technics SL1000R, DynavectorXV1t, Garrard 401, Jelco SA750LB, Decca Reference, ATVM750SH, AT33Mono, Hana Umami Red, Reimyo CDP777, EarYoshino 912, Ear Yoshino 509s, JBLK2 SL5800s, ART Dram interconnects / speaker cables.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lawton View Post
    ...Is that still a thing?

And is it worth doing?
    Many hifi dealers think it does. So does What Hifi, or at least they used to. Can't imagine why...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast