+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a SUT

I'm Mike.

Default Thinking about a SUT

Hi guys, i've always used MC phono stages, so tell me why should i consider a SUT over a MC phono stage, what are the benefits / drawbacks and what sort of SUT should i be looking for as a partner to my Art9?

Over to you...................

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Dave.

Swings and roundabouts. There are good and bad of each.

Good place to start is Rothwell who make good x'mers and MC SS phono stages.

Depending on your present phono stage, you might also consider a complete phono stage.

I'm Mike.

Thanks Dave, at the moment i have a Firebottle OTP Mk3 set at MM with a HOMC and a Project tube box with my Art9, output of the AR9 is 0.5mV and it's obviously this set up i'm considering a SUT for.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

As a generality, an active MC stage will have a more up front and dynamic sound whilst a SUT will sound a little more mellow and organic. It can be a minefield getting the right SUT for your cart, but the results can be great when you do.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Mike.

I don’t like it when the word “minefield “ starts to appear in a thread

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    I don’t like it when the word “minefield “ starts to appear in a thread
    Hard to think of an area in H-Fi where that word might not come into play.

I agree with HiFi Dave on the SUT bit by the way.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Just the way it is with SUT’s unfortunately IMO. You have to listen with your own ears, not just buy on spec.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm James.

Best to maybe try and find out which SUTs have been paired well with the ART9 and try those first. Otherwise recommending a SUT blind may not give you the result you require.

I agree with Ali regarding phono stages and SUTs as that was my finding too. It is I feel easier to pair a phono stage with a cartridge than find a good SUT but when you do find a good SUT pairing the results can be more natural sounding. I have found some head amps can sound a bit mechanical and some phono stages too forward and brash.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

Cheap SUT's are generally dire. A 'sale or return' deal may be worth thinking about.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Graham.

Hi jac, a vintage denon ha500 head amp is a good match with the art 9.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast