+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS. IPL M1 Tlm's in Walnut

I'm Richard.

Default FS. IPL M1 Tlm's in Walnut

Anyone in the Cambridge area interested in these speakers? I built them for a friend just before Christmas but unfortunately he can't live with them because there is far too much bass for his small room! These are speakers which only enthusiasts will have heard of which is why I have offered to advertise them on his behalf. The sound quality of these speakers is exceptional and they were built to a professional standard. More details can be found on the IPL website, www.iplacoustics.co.uk. I will be happy to answer any queries and pass on interest from prospective buyers. They are offered for sale at £1000 which I think would be a bargain for someone!

Last edited by The Alchemist; 03-02-2021 at 16:12. Reason: web address added

I'm Alan.

Very impressive...nice work..good luck with your sale..
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Richard.

Thank you, Alan, for your comments. I will admit that I am very disappointed that they are for sale, the irony being that they are too good........ I didn't realise that they were were going to be used in such a small room, 10 foot square with a lowish ceiling was always going to be a recipe for disaster. Had I known I would have suggested a small stand mounter which would have suited his situation much better.

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post
    Thank you, Alan, for your comments. I will admit that I am very disappointed that they are for sale, the irony being that they are too good........ I didn't realise that they were were going to be used in such a small room, 10 foot square with a lowish ceiling was always going to be a recipe for disaster. Had I known I would have suggested a small stand mounter which would have suited his situation much better.
    If somebody did that to me I’d be more than disappointed. Some friend you’ve got there!
    Bump for a nice example of craftsmanship.

I'm Steve.

A sad and difficult situation for both parties. I hope that it doesn't effect your friendship. Had these been available in my area i may well have been interested. They look like a Prog speaker? Specs and dimensions may assist with the sale. Good luck. i hope they go to someone who can fully exploit them,

I'm Dennis.

Looking at the cross section my instinct in rescuing the situation would be to make a ball of BAF wadding and enclose it in Dacron, and placing it behind the woofer to reduce the airflow to the line. The size can be varied to change the effective airflow reduction, attenuating the amount of bass output from the line. Such a shame after such good work not to use them.

This can also be changed for different listening rooms if he moves.

I'm Richard.

Thanks, Dennis, for that suggestion but that idea has been tried already. All of Ivan's transmission line speakers can be fine tuned to a degree. Treble can be increased or decreased slightly by changing a resistor in the crossover and bass can be toned down by adding more long haired wool around the bass driver and if that is not sufficient wool can be placed at the start of the line. Unfortunately the addition of extra wool has not been enough to solve the problem. I have a pair of S2 Tlm's myself. I have a slightly awkward room in that is is long and narrow with the speakers placed sideways at one end if the room. I would sometimes get an unwanted resonance. The problem was completely solved for me by using Dirac Live room correction. I will admit that I was very sceptical about such gadgetry but all I can say that for me it works very well and to my ears, at least, both music and movies sound sublime and I use Dirac all the time. I am pretty confident that Dirac would solve my friend's problem but to use a Minl DSP as a bolt on would cost £600 or more which he is unwilling to spend at the moment.

I'm Steve.

How about an appropriate link to the IPL website?

I'm Richard.

Web address now added, thanks for the suggestion.

I'm Jerry.

As an IPL speaker owner, I would just like to say how good they are. The build standard looks superb.
    The nearest comparison IMHO would be PMC speakers, just have a look at how much their larger ones cost.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast