+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using an SSD HD as your music Library to replace your USB HD

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Being in IT Iíve been using SSD for years in everything (including the PS4). Much better than hard drives, data streaming is around 9x quicker, little heat, no moving parts, very reliable.

Why wouldnít you? Well, SSDs are essentially like millions of light switches. If a failure occurs then recovery is exceptionally unlikely as Ďoffí is Ďoffí, whereas HDDs tend to fail gradually on the whole, and leave a magnetic footprint of data which can relatively easily recovered.

Saying that, a Crucial or Samsung (I favour Samsung) SSD hardly ever fails. I use either in all the SSD upgrades I do on Macs.

Whatever you do, make sure you have at least two backups. Thatís a good rule for all computer systems. Iíve seen clients lose their businesses due to lost data, because they didnít have a backup in place.

I'm Dennis.

I was told, rightly or wrongly, that SSDs have inbuilt alternative circuits which can come in and substitute, and override the failed transistors, is that right?

I'm Tony.

I would suggest for quality FBA playback SSD would be a minimum requirement
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I was told, rightly or wrongly, that SSDs have inbuilt alternative circuits which can come in and substitute, and override the failed transistors, is that right?
    Not to my knowledge, when they fail, thatís it normally. They tend to fail on block count when they go wrong. Most operating systems will work around it and mark the bad sectors as with hard drives, but if data resides on those blocks then itís lost unless the failure is gradual, which is unlikely on an SSD.

If the last block becomes unreadable then the drive is dead and the data lost. As with any storage system, regular checks are essential (Drive DX is the best for Mac, Techtool Pro is also good) and replacing the drive immediately upon a warning is a must-do. Thatís why multiple back ups are required as itís easier to restore from a working back up than try and recover data from a failing or failed drive.

I'm Clive.

Doesn't Windows intelligently handle SSDs in some way, probably better than Linux O/Ss for a Pi which probably simply treat SSDs as an HDD?
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital & Preamp Lindemann Musiccbook SOURCE
    Power Amp Lindemann Musicbook POWER 500
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm BigBobJoylove.

The only extra handling over an HDD is garbage collection (TRIM), but thatís mostly taken care of by the SSD firmware these days.

Macs have a TRIM system built in which is utilised on their computers with a factory SSD, but itís disabled for third party drives, but again itís usually handled by the drive itself or by manually running a repair on Disk Utility.

I'm Pavel.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    The only extra handling over an HDD is garbage collection (TRIM), but that’s mostly taken care of by the SSD firmware these days.

Macs have a TRIM system built in which is utilised on their computers with a factory SSD, but it’s disabled for third party drives, but again it’s usually handled by the drive itself or by manually running a repair on Disk Utility.
    Since OS X 10.11, it's possible to enable TRIM for any SSD on a Mac: sudo trimforce enable

USB SSDs usually don't support TRIM since this is originally a SCSI command. Only drives that support UASP (USB Attached SCSI Protocol) support TRIM over USB. There's no difference between Windows and Linux when handling UASP-enabled USB drives, macOS doesn't support TRIM over USB at all so in the end it all depends on the drive's internal garbage collection.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Indeed, that's why it's not worth running the trimforce command, the firmware on SSDs takes care of garbage collection, and the wear levelling is so ludicrously high on SSDs these days that in most cases the write limits won't be hit before the computer is replaced anyway.
    Main system
    Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    ATL Audio DC mains trap
    Mac mini running Fidelia
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    AD Audio bespoke balanced valve buffer stage with...
    2x 1959 NOS RCA Red Base black plate 5691s
    Joe Henry-built Pass Labs Aleph 3 Class A power amp
    Reiver Acoustics Edingdales speakers
    BK Double Gem twin 10" subwoofer
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC speaker cable
    Audioquest SLiP Neutrik subwoofer interconnect
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect

Secondary system
    iMac 27"
    Samsung Blu-ray