+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sample rate and QED 'Graphite' optical cable

I'm Rockabilly.

Default Sample rate and QED 'Graphite' optical cable

Hello.

Has anyone encountered problems with QED optical cable in the 'graphite' range - not carrying data at 96kHz?
    I have toslink to mini-toslink termination.

Thanks.
    Johnny Dodgem.

Cartridges vintage MMs including Pickering xsv-4000/xsv-3000 : Stanton 881s/D81 : AT140LC/VMN40ML
    Spinners hot rod 1210 (Jelco 750D, Origami, Ammonite, Longdog, Vantage, Achromats) : Pye G63 & Garrard AT6 : Two full custom Lencos : Kenwood KD-650D
    Streaming Qobuz : BluOS & Node2 (Fidelity Audio modified) : RME ADI-2 DAC
    Pre-amps Tron Seven (GT modified) : Conrad Johnson EV1 : Croft Micro 25 : Decware ZStage
    Power Amps PrimaLuna ProLogue 5 (KT120) : PrimaLuna ProLogue 4 (KT77)
    Speakers The Edingdale : Meadowlark Hot Rod Shearwater

I'm Jo.

Quote Originally Posted by camtwister View Post
    Hello.

Has anyone encountered problems with QED optical cable in the 'graphite' range - not carrying data at 96kHz?
    I have toslink to mini-toslink termination.

Thanks.
    I used a Graphite few years back with no problems at all. I was under the impression all optical cables were fine with 96kHz. Like you I have used mini to toslink cables. I don't think the mini termination has the effect of reducing the bandwidth the cable can carry.

I'm Rockabilly.

That's my understanding also, Joanna.
    However, when I send 96kHz files to my DAC via this cable, I'm getting nothing but distortion. It's working correctly at sample rates below this, at both 16 and 24 bit resolution.
    Odd.
    Johnny Dodgem.

Cartridges vintage MMs including Pickering xsv-4000/xsv-3000 : Stanton 881s/D81 : AT140LC/VMN40ML
    Spinners hot rod 1210 (Jelco 750D, Origami, Ammonite, Longdog, Vantage, Achromats) : Pye G63 & Garrard AT6 : Two full custom Lencos : Kenwood KD-650D
    Pre-amps Tron Seven (GT modified) : Conrad Johnson EV1 : Croft Micro 25 : Decware ZStage

I'm Jo.

Quote Originally Posted by camtwister View Post
    That's my understanding also, Joanna.
    However, when I send 96kHz files to my DAC via this cable, I'm getting nothing but distortion. It's working correctly at sample rates below this, at both 16 and 24 bit resolution.
    Odd.
    You've probably already checked this, but have you got your source device settings to allow 96kHz?

I'm Kevin.

What is the set up you are using this in?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Rockabilly.

This is in my workshop system.

Qobuz Hi-Res > Wireless 2.4GHz > Chromecast Audio dongle > QED 'Graphite' optical cable > Rega DAC

i) I've ordered a cheap optical cable to test against the QED and determine if it's the interconnect.

ii) I thought Chromecast Audio was capable of acting as a transport for 24/96 PCM wav files. Perhaps it can only transport the FLAC codec at this resolution.
    Does anyone know?
    The internal DAC of the Chromecast can translate these streams - but I don't want to use the Chromecast convertor.

Perhaps I'll post in the digital section about that, if I don't get a response in this part of the forum.

I'm fairly confident my
    Chromecast Audio > Beresford Bushmaster
    didn't have this problem, and I know the Rega is happy with 24/96, hence I suspected the cable (or damage to it).

I'm Grant.

have you selected hi rez in the system options for chromecast... im sure you used to have to select hi quality...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rockabilly.

There is no option to change audio settings other than dynamic range or equalisation, using Google Home.
    I have the second generation of CCA.

I'm Kevin.

You have turned on full dynamic range?
    Other options are to try a different cable, and if that does not change anything, send it back for replacement.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Rockabilly.

Yep, full dynamic range is on.
    I've been using it for years. This problem is new, which is why I thought the cable was prime suspect.
    Johnny Dodgem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast