+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS: Iota Audio Reference Headphone Amp

I'm Lawrence.

Default FS: Iota Audio Reference Headphone Amp

Absolutely stunning sounding 2 box headphone amp with separate PSU. Weighs as much as a decent small integrated amp. Sounds sublime and walks over every other amp I've owned in terms of naturalness while having good solid state drive. Only selling as young children mean I just don't have the time to enjoy it anymore so would rather pass it on to someone who can.

Very rare item, only a few (or even just this one?) ever made by Iota who are mainly highly regarded phono stage builders.*

It has XLR balanced inputs, and I recommend you don't use RCA to XLR adaptors as I heard a low hum sometimes when I tried them so didn't pursue (some components aren't compatible with XLR adaptors and can get damaged with long term use so I recommend not using them).

The XLR outs are straight line, not a pre out. They allow you to put the amp in a tape loop or between pre and power to add a headphone amp to your system.

Slight issue, I think the PSU cord maybe has a slightly loose wire as once when I moved it there was a loud crackle. It is fine when left alone though and hasn't done it in a few years just mentioning for transparency. It should just need resiloldering in one of the removable plugs, if you are serious about buying I can have a look (but I'm not great at soldering!)

I'm asking £300 for forum members. It's also listed on eBay. Doorstep collection from North London possible otherwise buyer to arrange a courier collection.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Withdrawn at least for now as my other 2 amps have sold first on eBay. This was the best so I'm quite happy really

I'm Lawrence.

Decided to sell and listed it on eBay last night, it sold overnight to a gentleman in Hong Kong.

Ok so his address is a PayPal unverified Big Yellow Storage but he seems decent enough..

Before anyone says I'm mad, this is not the first time I've done a thing like this. And I have an inherent belief in human decency, and I'm a good judge of character.

So fingers crossed

I'm Philip.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Decided to sell and listed it on eBay last night, it sold overnight to a gentleman in Hong Kong.

Ok so his address is a PayPal unverified Big Yellow Storage but he seems decent enough..

Before anyone says I'm mad, this is not the first time I've done a thing like this. And I have an inherent belief in human decency, and I'm a good judge of character.

So fingers crossed

Doomed!

I'm Nigel.

Since this listing has appeared on the forum we have received a number of enquires requesting information and the history of this product. Therefore I thought it might be helpful to post a response.

The iota-Audio-Design Reference Headphone amp was originally and remains a “built to order item”, supplied to recording studio’s & mastering engineers, as well as Hi-fi enthusiasts, often built for use with specific headphones, and consequently these are usually offered with a bespoke specification, depending upon each customers requirement.

These are designed and built as a true differential balanced piece of equipment, and therefore just like all our other balanced equipment these can be used quite happily with standard single-ended equipment fitted with phono sockets, but we do NOT recommend using the commercial phono to XLR adaptors, as these generally cause a ground loop to be formed and hum to be generated as these link the outer metal shell of the XLR plug to the sleeve /screen of the phono socket.

A simple cable adaptor is all that is required, ideally using a suitable balanced cable ( 2 signal wires and a screen), the international standard configuration for XLR is Pin 1 is screen, Pin 2 is Hot signal (+), Pin 3 is cold signal (-). **(Only connect cables to the pins 1-2-3 of the XLR plug, DO Not make any connection to the metal outer shell of the XLR plug )!**

Then at the RCA phono end connect the cold signal (-) and the screen of the cable to the outer sleeve of the RCA, and the hot signal (+) to the pin of the RCA plug. We are able to supply suitable cable adaptors of any length if required.

Obviously as with this item from time to time you may come across a second-hand unit, for any such equipment we continue to offer fully service, repair, and support, and in fact we do so on all equipment that we have ever produced, even outside our normal 3-year guarantee period.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Iota 1 View Post
    Since this listing has appeared on the forum we have received a number of enquires requesting information and the history of this product. Therefore I thought it might be helpful to post a response.

The iota-Audio-Design Reference Headphone amp was originally and remains a “built to order item”, supplied to recording studio’s & mastering engineers, as well as Hi-fi enthusiasts, often built for use with specific headphones, and consequently these are usually offered with a bespoke specification, depending upon each customers requirement.

These are designed and built as a true differential balanced piece of equipment, and therefore just like all our other balanced equipment these can be used quite happily with standard single-ended equipment fitted with phono sockets, but we do NOT recommend using the commercial phono to XLR adaptors, as these generally cause a ground loop to be formed and hum to be generated as these link the outer metal shell of the XLR plug to the sleeve /screen of the phono socket.

A simple cable adaptor is all that is required, ideally using a suitable balanced cable ( 2 signal wires and a screen), the international standard configuration for XLR is Pin 1 is screen, Pin 2 is Hot signal (+), Pin 3 is cold signal (-). **(Only connect cables to the pins 1-2-3 of the XLR plug, DO Not make any connection to the metal outer shell of the XLR plug )!**

Then at the RCA phono end connect the cold signal (-) and the screen of the cable to the outer sleeve of the RCA, and the hot signal (+) to the pin of the RCA plug. We are able to supply suitable cable adaptors of any length if required.

Obviously as with this item from time to time you may come across a second-hand unit, for any such equipment we continue to offer fully service, repair, and support, and in fact we do so on all equipment that we have ever produced, even outside our normal 3-year guarantee period.
    Good to hear from you Nigel (if you wrote the reply) and pleased this is generating some interest in your product, it's a superb amp and deserves to be more well known.

I did message the buyer in HK as he asked about the noisy PSU umbilical and of course I don't want to ship if he has any doubts. So you never know this might be staying after all.

I'd be very interested to know if you have any details about the specification of this one. I have noticed it works very well with HD650s but then it works well with everything I've tried. It's very neutral and natural sounding and yet not at all harsh or fatiguing like many so-called "neutral" amps, and I can listen to it for hours.

I was surprised to find lots of op amps inside when I looked the other day before relisting, I was expecting MOSFETs tbh. It has changed my view of what opamp based amps are capable of, both in terms of power and SQ.

I'm Norman.

PM'd,
    Norman

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk
    Rosewood LP12 Lingo, Ittok LVIII, AT OC9/III, Pioneer N-50A Streamer, Beresford Caimen SEG, Yamaha CD-N301 CD/ Streamer.Puresound T10 & P10, Audio Synthesis Passion Ultimate passive preamp, Audio Synthesis Decade amp. Canor TP10 Headphone amp. Pair MF P150 amps
    Linn Keildh, Hiquphon Tweeter upgrade.With Kustone bases
    Solid core Silver interconnects. Silver plated solid core copper interconnects, KLE Silver and Neutrik plugs and K400 biwire cable. Norstone Bergen 2 table
    Mission Isoplat (anyone remember them?)Synology DS215 , Beyerdynamic DT 990's, ADL GT40 Alpha for ADC Duties.

I'm Nigel.

Hi Lawrence
    Yes it was Nigel Responding to your posting, as it is now. Yes its amazing what you can do with op amps, especially with the appropriate power supply,although its is wise to remember not all op amps are created equal, especially when it comes to SQ!

I'm Lawrence.

Yes I know that now. I always liked the sound of the Opamp based Graham Slee amps but this is on another level IMHO.

I didn't recognise the chips they didn't look like the usual BB or AD devices. I didn't note down any codes either your trade secrets are safe

Sadly the buyer did get back to me and this is now winging its way to HK via a Big Yellow Storage place. Pity as I would have loved to keep it in the forum, and who knows maybe own it again at some point. Still now there's a chance for Iota to become better known in Asia

+ Reply to Thread