+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bluesound Node 2i

I'm Simon.

So the other night I played some tracks Rega RP6 vs node 2i. The node was really lacking bass. I then found the tone controls on the node which were off. When I clicked them off the subwoofer was set to on so all the sub80khz was going to a non existent woofer. I turned that off and wow what a difference. I wonder if they are all set that like as I've not touched it before?

I'm Colin.

Interesting read this. I currently use a raspberry pi3 with allo dac . I am trialling a new amp which I really like and it has a dac onboard. I have thought about updating my raspberry to a pi4 and use the amps dac but also looked at the innuos zen and the Bluesound node 2i. I like the fact that the Bluesound can stream amazon and my son uses amazon so that would be a tick in his box. Does it have blue tooth and a usb to dac connection?
    Thanks

Colin

I'm Mike.

The Node 2i has Bluetooth in/out but no USB out, the USB is for connecting a hard drive etc and the other one is for service use only.

I'm Colin.

Thanks, the amps dac is usb but I could use rca to connect the Bluesound to the amp then I would just have to buy a cd transport with u#b connection. How will I break this good news to the wife!
    It would be good to have the amazon hd but the son can always use Bluetooth to connect to a raspberry. I like the zen but I don’t really need the ripping facility albeit it is a nice unit

I'm Hermano.

Can I ask is there a limitation to attaching a hard drive? Do the apps etc still work if only using an attached had drive? Also, is there a track limit like Sonos?

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by hermano View Post
    Can I ask is there a limitation to attaching a hard drive? Do the apps etc still work if only using an attached had drive? Also, is there a track limit like Sonos?
    If you mean can you plug a USB HDD directly into the Bluesound Node and play music files directly from that hard drive, then yes it will be fine and is designed to do this as one of it's playback options. The Bluesound app works the same way, once all the files have been indexed. It's actually a good way to use the Node, rather than streaming files over a Network either wirelessly or via ethernet, both of which also work fine subject to Wifi strength and the bandwidth of your wired network.

There are song limits like the Sonos as these systems all run from a stored database. The Bluesound Node 2 has the ability to index 'up to' 100,000 songs, the Bluesound Node 2i 'up to' 200,000 songs. But these are both theoretical limits, hence the 'up to' notation. These are maximums in ideal conditions as the database indexes the metadata, so if you have a lot of information in the metadata, like long track names or titles and associated artwork, this 'theoretical' maximum can be substantially less as there is more data to index.

I have used a Vault, Bluesound Node, Node 2 and 2i as my best mate is committed to the Bluesound ecosystem but not much of a geek - I apparently am, so I look after them for him when he has problems. The only real issues he has had are in relation to this song limit as he has a huge ripped FLAC library. As an example his Node 2i starts to struggle with over 130,000 songs, which is well below to it's supposed maximum. It works, but nowhere near as well as when he's got under 100,000 songs indexed. It can hang or just be slow to respond on the apps. It doesn't affect the sound quality, just responsiveness.

To put this in context though, he's extremely pleased with Bluesound as am I, although I don't have one myself. It easy to use, has a great app and sounds very good for a £500 streamer, I'd argue its the best value at this price point. So if you don't push it to it's limit then you'll have no issues. He's had no problems since he reduced his library size, but since adding Tidal this has been a non issue as he pretty much uses that all the time now and rarely plays his own library files, as he likes to discover new music, so is constantly on the look out for new stuff on Tidal.

So keep the library size under control and the Bluesound Node is a darned good compact streamer
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Buffet-blower.

A few weeks on from the OP but I received my own Node 2i from Richer Sounds this week. Cracking little bit of kit, have been very impressed so far. Had considered the Audiolab 6000N but didn't relish the idea of using a 3rd party control app, plus the Node is so much smaller in size, and - once played through a stand-alone DAC - I'd guess the sonic differences are marginal.

Running mine through my trusty old TEAC UD-H01 but have been very surprised how little there is in it between that and the Node's built-in unit. Think it's time to go DAC-shopping.

Bluesound+Cyrus by Boxertrixter, on Flickr
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Hi Richard, it's an impressive bit of kit for the price and the Node 2i is definitely a step up from the 2, not just the song capacity. My mate has his 2i currently hooked up to a Roksan Blak and it doesn't embarrass itself at all. For folk who want to get into streaming and local music file playback with minimal fuss, it think it's the gold standard for 500 quid. You can of course bugger about with a Pi if that's your thing, but for most people I'd say just go for the Bluesound.

Nice picture (as always) by the way
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Hi Richard, it's an impressive bit of kit for the price and the Node 2i is definitely a step up from the 2, not just the song capacity. My mate has his 2i currently hooked up to a Roksan Blak and it doesn't embarrass itself at all. For folk who want to get into streaming and local music file playback with minimal fuss, it think it's the gold standard for 500 quid. You can of course bugger about with a Pi if that's your thing, but for most people I'd say just go for the Bluesound.

Nice picture (as always) by the way
    Thanks Tim

Would really like to hear this through a Qutest or some such, seeing as my Teac's a few years old now and no doubt stuff has moved on in the digital realm. For now though, I'm one happy chap.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Simon.

I've just fitted the Fidelity Interface board and an Allo Shanti power supply. It is definitely much better to my ears. You can follow individual instruments now whereas is was a muddled sound before. I am so impressed with the Bluesound. The confusion to me now is being told yesterday that another dac won't make much difference if any. There is so much conflicting advice out there...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast