+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Decware Taboo Amplifier - single ended pentode - el84 - Class A

I'm Rockabilly.

Default Decware Taboo Amplifier - single ended pentode - el84 - Class A

For sale is a Decware Taboo amplifier. Now sold - thank you.
    It's a bobby dazzler!

The Taboo utilises the EL84 family of power valves.
    It is a single ended pentode design that runs in Class A.
    It will puff up its chest and give 6 watts at full power into 8 ohms, when driven with 2.3 volts across the input.
    It is Hazen enabled and so you can use the Russian 6P15P/EV tube to best effect - and it's somewhat less expensive than exotic triodes.
    And it gets better: the amp is self-biasing.
    It can be used as a single input integrated amp but it excels when the volume control is bypassed (with the direct input jacks) and when driven by an active pre-amp.
    It loves my Tron and my Croft.
    The noise floor is low. (Quoted as less than one millivolt but they don't say under what conditions.)
    The output transformer is designed for the amp topology and was made in the US.

Tube rollers can, er, roll around in joy because it will accept either 12AX7, 12AT7 or 12AU7 as the driver tube.
    The rectifier valve has a significant effect on the sonics. You can play with 5U4, 5AR4, GZ34 and 274B.
    I am selling the Decware with a RCA JAN 5U4G, manufactured in the 1950s.
    Also included is a Psvane 12AX7 and a closely matched pair of New Old Stock Reflektor 6P15P-EV valves, purchased from Steve Deckart.

This is the improved version of the second generation of the Taboo with model designation "se84ts+".
    These were manufactured between 2009 and 2012.
    The current version is revision four, but that is a dedicated headphone amp.
    The amplifier that I'm selling will drive loudspeakers. It does not have a headphone facility.

All resistors are precision WW/MF by Dale and Vishay. The signal caps are poly film & foil. The filter caps are electrolytic.

Dimensions are 7.25 inches wide by 14.75 inches deep, with a height of no more than 8 inches if using the 5U4G rectifier.
    The top of the transformer is 6.5 inches above the feet.

I am the original owner. I purchased the Taboo directly from Decware in 2012, specified for a 240V UK supply.
    It's in first class, fully working condition.
    The casing and volume control knob are made from walnut. The chassis is powder coated 2mm T6 aluminium.
    This is very much a reluctant sale but I've invested in yet another shiny thermionic machine that requires quads of KT120s - and so funds must be raised.
    This generation of Taboo doesn't come up for sale often and the waiting list for the new $2200 equivalent is six months.

Take a peek at this:
    https://6moons.com/audioreviews/decware/taboo.html

I would prefer collection for obvious reasons but given the lockdown rules, I'm willing to ship the amp within the UK.
    The amp didn't arrive in a bespoke box, and so there's no original packaging as such, but I'll protect it as much as possible from the horrors of the courier.
    I estimate a cost of £35 for postage. I'll probably ship the valves in a separate box.

If you have sensitive speakers that present a benign resistive load, this little 'un will make you smile.

I do have a pretty selection of 1950s Mullard RX1 el84 valves and NOS Reflektor 6P15P.
    These could be for sale with the amp, which would be neat, but I'll want extra money because I'm feeding a habit.

(If you don't have suitable speakers or if your listening preference is for bass heavy material at 110dB,
    I do have other solid state power amps for sale that may tickle you.)

This is where the amp was hand-made:

Last edited by camtwister; 27-01-2021 at 08:03. Reason: mark as sold
    Johnny Dodgem.

Cartridges vintage MMs including Pickering xsv-4000/xsv-3000 : Stanton 881s/D81 : AT140LC/VMN40ML
    Spinners hot rod 1210 (Jelco 750D, Origami, Ammonite, Longdog, Vantage, Achromats) : Pye G63 & Garrard AT6 : Two full custom Lencos : Kenwood KD-650D
    Streaming Qobuz : BluOS & Node2 (Fidelity Audio modified) : RME ADI-2 DAC
    Pre-amps Tron Seven (GT modified) : Conrad Johnson EV1 : Croft Micro 25 : Decware ZStage
    Power Amps PrimaLuna ProLogue 5 (KT120) : PrimaLuna ProLogue 4 (KT77)
    Speakers The Edingdale : Meadowlark Hot Rod Shearwater

I'm Steve.

Beautiful

I'm Tony.

Stunning!

I'm Colin.

Extremely nice makes me want to buy a set of sensitive speakers.
    Colin

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Gorgeous.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Rockabilly.

Thanks to all for the compliments.
    The amp is now sold, subject to payment, to a respected member of this parish.
    Johnny Dodgem.

Cartridges vintage MMs including Pickering xsv-4000/xsv-3000 : Stanton 881s/D81 : AT140LC/VMN40ML
    Spinners hot rod 1210 (Jelco 750D, Origami, Ammonite, Longdog, Vantage, Achromats) : Pye G63 & Garrard AT6 : Two full custom Lencos : Kenwood KD-650D
    Streaming Qobuz : BluOS & Node2 (Fidelity Audio modified) : RME ADI-2 DAC
    Pre-amps Tron Seven (GT modified) : Conrad Johnson EV1 : Croft Micro 25 : Decware ZStage
    Power Amps PrimaLuna ProLogue 5 (KT120) : PrimaLuna ProLogue 4 (KT77)
    Speakers The Edingdale : Meadowlark Hot Rod Shearwater

I'm Rob.

Me : look forward to trying it on my Voxativ field coils

I'm Rockabilly.

Wow.
    I'd love to see that set up. And hear it, obvs.
    Which Voxative speakers do you have? Or have you built cabs for their drivers?
    Time for a new thread, Rob!

I'm Greg.

Beautiful!

Once I've put together a clone of Zen se84c.
    I loved the sound, but visually mine was pitiful...

I'm Rob.

Hi
    This is back up for sale really enjoyed having a play it’s a very sweet sounding amp well built inside and out - just prefer my SIT amps in my setup .
    Offered with the original valves + I’ll include a Chatham 5R4WGY rectifier and a Brimar 13D5 which I thought sounded a nice sounding combo.
    I also bought a new HiFi - Tuning Supreme silver/gold 3a fuse which improved things further.
    With the added valves and fuse I’d like £1000 in postage
    I’m in Southampton if you want to pick up adhering to COVID regs etc
    Cheers
    Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast