Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Decware Taboo Amplifier - single ended pentode - el84 - Class A

I'm Rob.

Hi Chris
    Been trying your inbox is full

I'm Rob.

Some info on the lucid mode switch and Hazen mod
    LUCID MODE SWITCH
    The lucid mode switch can be used on-the -fly while listening to music. When engagued it cre- ates an esoteric feedback scheme where feed- back from one channel is fed to other channel and visa-versa. This effect creates more space and a better sense of dimensionality with most recordings. There will be some recordings that sound best when the amp is run is standard mode (lucid mode off). Lucid mode is a unique concept that can only be implimented in the Zen Taboo amplifier. It is not something that can be applied to any other circuit.
    Hazen/CCE mod

https://www.decware.com/newsite/paper146.html

I'm Chris.

A deal has been struck and the amp should be headed my way soon. Its long been my desire to try out an EL84 amp. My favourite designer, SW1X, is currently working on the development of an EL84 amp and this Decware kit is so well regarded it will prove a great benchmark.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Lawrence.

I bet it will sound great. How did you get on in the end with the Ice Power amp on your bass drivers by the way?

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I bet it will sound great. How did you get on in the end with the Ice Power amp on your bass drivers by the way?
    Hi Lawrence

The amp had a small problem that I had to get fixed, but its perfect now. Over the last year I have been able to migrate my system to a dedicated room, which was a mixed blessing as the room is more narrow than long, with a vaulted ceiling at one end.

Its been a bit of a challenge to get it right and using the ICE amp has taken a back seat. I have been able to get a pretty good bass response by changing crossovers and by additional baffles around the bass driver. For open baffles its pretty good at present.

When more settled I will return to experimenting with driving the bass drivers using the ICE amp and the much enhanced damping it gives over valves, particularly the flea powered amps I prefer but the Decware is a big step up in power from my 1.8W 45 triodes

Early days I somehow contrived to put the full 1000W through vintage Saba Greencones and blew them to pieces in nanoseconds with a big bang and showers of sparks. Not my finest hour

Thanks for asking
    Last edited by bumpy; 09-05-2021 at 10:27.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Lawrence.

Oh no sounds like it's been more of a liability than an asset. Hope it works out eventually anyway, these are the best bass driving amps made I think

I'm Chris.

Oh no sounds like it's been more of a liability than an asset. Hope it works out eventually anyway, these are the best bass driving amps made I think
    No problem Lawrence. Life is a roller coaster
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Lawrence.

I prefer a slow journey with plenty of stops on a rural branch line in a 2 car DMU myself

I'm Chris.

I prefer a slow journey with plenty of stops on a rural branch line in a 2 car DMU myself
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Charles.

I really enjoy mine! Great amp. Steve makes great stuff.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast