+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carpet or wood floor?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

If the Albert Hall in London, minimised the echo from the domed roof by hanging dozens of 'flying saucers' of various diameters from the roof, then maybe hanging baskets of various sizes from the ceiling of the listening room might help.
    Barry

I'm guy.

Bring the garden in to the room could be quite therapeutic .
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

A well watered plant in a pot placed near the turntable can work wonders for those who are plagued with static.
    Barry

I'm Neds.

I’ve had abamboo floor for some years. It was glued to the existing chipboard panel floor using bamboo adhesive- thick goop in a tub. It’s satin finish, so isn’t especially slippy. My speakers are 6ft apart and about 8ft from the sofa. In between the sofa and the speakers is a 7 x 5 rug, around 15 mm thick. Works for me. I don’t think I did a comparison without the rug- it’s my lounge, not a listening cell and I have no urge to install a box of illuminated rock wool on my ceiling 🙄

I'm Dennis.

Currently being debated on many forums is the degree to which the listening room is deadened, this really addressing the problem of the degree to which we allow the listening room to have an acoustic footprint, this being added to the recording venue footprint.

At one stage I was going to remove the ceiling plasterboard and have drooping loops of a porous material hanging from the joists, these containing BAF or similar between the loops and the above floorboards.

I'm Neds.

Loops hanging from the bared joists? Texas chainsaw massacre😵

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Neds View Post
    I’ve had abamboo floor for some years. It was glued to the existing chipboard panel floor using bamboo adhesive- thick goop in a tub. It’s satin finish, so isn’t especially slippy. My speakers are 6ft apart and about 8ft from the sofa. In between the sofa and the speakers is a 7 x 5 rug, around 15 mm thick. Works for me. I don’t think I did a comparison without the rug- it’s my lounge, not a listening cell and I have no urge to install a box of illuminated rock wool on my ceiling ��
    Thanks - does the bamboo wear well?

I agree with you about it being the lounge and not a dedicated "listening room" (perhaps in my twenties I would have thought differently )
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Neds.

I don’t know what the split is between people with a listening room and people who just use their living room, but I’d be interested to know!
    Our ex neighbours introduced us to bamboo flooring. They threw a sample across two gardens, which dug a lump out of my hand- it’s very hard! I’ve scratched ours numerous times, but I rub in either brown shoe polish or a walnut, which sorts that. I think ours came from The Bamboo Flooring Company. High gloss seemed like a liability and Matt seemed like a dumb idea for something that would be walked on- I could see horrible shiny patches in my minds eye, so that’s why we got the satin. I’ll try and upload a picture, but I’ve never done it on here 😉

I'm guy.

Sony CDP XB930.

I'm FERGUS.

If you have curtains, a sofa, a table... a wood floor should be fine no? An empty room with a wood floor would be a totally different story.
    Lenco L59/Goldring G99

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast