+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Get Your Cartridges Out For The Lads 2021

I'm Bob.

I think I'll sit this one out. I can't even get on the same page let alone compete!

Sacha's collection goes beyond my imagination and it's all so clean and well photographed.

And Barry has bespoke storage for his cart collection. My few are in a drawer! Oh well.
    Last edited by bob4333; 25-01-2021 at 09:28.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    I think I'll sit this out. I can't even get on the same page let alone compete!

Sacha's collection goes beyond my imagination and it's all so clean and well photographed.

And Barry has bespoke storage for his cart collection. My few are in a drawer! Oh well.
    I feel a bit like that Bob.

Like your system BTW.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Not the best photo but quite a nice cartridge.
    Nice original NOS M55
    This was great MI cartridge, sad I sold it and sad I have not got better pic!
    This was a bit average sounding but great budget MC
    DJ Cartidge
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm John.

A couple of shots of my rather (very) small collection.
    A&R P77Mg, also have a 2nd one of these, but it's out on loan at the moment.
    Plain Vanilla A&R P77, complete with original box, outer packaging & often missing stylus guard.
    Finally my Transfiguration Axia S.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk
    Money may not make me happy.
    But it helps me afford the kind of misery I prefer.

SYSTEM 1:

Analogue.
    Brinkmann Bardo / 12" OL Enterprise Mk4 / Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum /BigBottle mk3 /MFA Baby Reference Pre/Nord One UP SE NC500M/Martin Logan Summit

Digital.
    Docet Lector CDP-7TL mkiii/Pimped Bluesound Node2 + BOTW SBooster Lps/ Pimped Mk1 Jolida Fx Glass DAC.

Wires etc.
    Audioplan Musicable ICs & TQ Black ll SC, assorted branded kettle leads.
    Target TT shelf & Alphason 5 shelf rack.
    Power Inspired AG1500S mains regen.

SYSTEM 2: Back to the 80s.

Garrard 401, RB250, A&R P77Mg / Mk1 Marantz CD63 SE / Sony TC-FX150 / Sansui T500L / Cambridge Audio C50 + 2x A50 as bridged monos (mid 80s Stan Curtis's design) / or KEF 104ab/ Original 80s Monster Cable IC, DNM SC / Target 5 shelf rack.

SPARE KIT:
    A&R E77Mg
    Ortofon 2M Silver + Blue stylus
    Philips CD600
    Arcam Alpha 8P
    Pro-Ject DacBox S FL
    CCA
    FiiO Taishan
    Heybrook HB1 S2
    Q Acoustics 3050

I'm Sascha.

Ortofon SPU 90th anniversary

best regards
    Sascha

I'm Andy.

Some great photo's and cartridges - I can't compete with the above but here is a selection of mine in the house:

Goldring Elite MC:

Denon DL-103M:

A&R P77 with Expert Stylus:

A&R P77 with original packaging:

Another P77 stylus tweaked by Expert:

Mono GE RPX-061 (1mill stylus for 33/45) with original box and paper work:

Goldring G800 (I think):

Finally a 78 stylus for an Ortofon OM10 (which is connected to a turntable in the garage):

Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Jim,

Sorry for the late reply... Been busy elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Never heard of the DL-103GL that must be a rare beast. Good pic of the silver Kondo cartridge leads, very tasty. I know from a list of Denon 103 manufacturing I saw a while back they made a huge range of variants of the 103 since they first released it in the 60s many of which probably never made it outside Japan?

It is a cartridge I should still endeavour to try in some form when I plunge back down the MC route.
    Yeah, the 103GL (Gold Limited) was introduced in 1990, in a limited production run of 2000, so is fairly rare. I imported a NOS/NIB one from Japan last year.

It has a special glass-fibre black housing (similar to the blue housing used on the subsequently later introduced 103SA). It also has a slightly lower output of 0.25mV, as opposed to the 0.3mV of the stock 103. The real key to its superb sound though, lies in the coils being wound from 4N high-purity gold wire. This imbues music with a clarity and richness unavailable from other 103s, and indeed most other cartridges I've heard at any price!

It really does sound stunning, possessing a level of fine-detail retrieval, 'widescreen' midrange clarity and palpable low-end heft (without flab), largely absent from the stock 103, which in comparison sounds somewhat 'stodgy and opaque'. One of the key things that significantly limits the performance of the stock 103 is its cheap plastic shell, which is where Denon implemented most of their cost cutting.

Therefore, if you're thinking of trying a vintage 103, first of all try and find a NOS one, and go for either a DL-103C1, 103GL or 103SA, as all have improved shells (so less coloration and more detail) and the 'classic', and highly addictive 103 sound. Other notable models, if you fancy something a bit different are the 103D and 103M.

*BUT*, if you want to hear what the former models mentioned are truly capable of, you'll need either an idler or direct-driven T/T (or something with decent torque to combat 'stylus drag' caused by the weight of a heavy headhsell and cartridge, tracking at the optimum 2.7g), fitted with a high-mass arm (or medium-mass arm equipped with a heavy headshell), a good valve MM phono stage, and most importantly a quality SUT or MC head amp. All of that needs to be in place, in order to extract full performance from any low-compliance DL-103 cartridge.

Anyway, if you decide to go down that route, I'd be happy to advise

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

I think Kevin had a 103SA and really liked it sometime back and I have had the older 103 variants on my radar for a long time but never commited to buying anything. As I am considering MC cartridges again going forward this year the 103 will definitely be on my list even if its only out of curiousity to listen to this classic cartridge.

I'm jamie.

I had an SA for a while, very nice cartridge but let down by the conical stylus, I wish I had had it re tipped.
    Does anyone know how the 103 SL sits in the ranking?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Andy.

I use the 103M and it is a cracker (see pics above) - a cut above your average 103 by miles
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.