+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arts of Gross Stupidity – Confession Time

I'm Paul.

Default Acts of Gross Stupidity – Confession Time

Just when I thought the foolishness of my earlier years was over I knocked an inner record sleeve off a shelve behind my turntable. This hit my turntable arm sideways and ripped the diamond off my beloved Koetsu Urushi Blue. Hopefully when its safe enough to go to the post office again I can get it sent off to be repaired.

I've been an audiophile for over 40 years and in my time I have been responsible for many murderous acts towards moving coil cartridges, here's some of my grimiest moments to cheer you up during these dark times:-

Twenty years back I had (have) a Clearaudio Accurate MC, this sat on the end of an SME V on my Pink Triangle Anniversary. The turntable had a very light platter and precise spindle size so often I would have to apply a little pressure to get records on it. Releasing these records would require a bit of care such as a slow back and fore movement. Sometimes the platter would stay attached upon lifting and you had to be very careful to let it down to avoid damaging the bearing. One day I had a record that refused to come away from the platter. I then had a brainwave and found I could get the corner of a record sleeve under a portion of the record, by holding the vinyl and rotating the platter and sleeve I could get the vinyl to move upwards. Things were going well for about Ύ of a rotation until after a short period of friction I saw the cantilever of the cartridge fly across the platter, this was caused by the other end of the sleeve coming up against the cartridge. I do remember losing the power of speech for a couple of hours after this.

Previously to this I had Lyra Titan i which has an open body. At the time I was experimenting with cleaning records. A couple hours after cleaning one I gave it a play. Although the record appeared dry there was still moisture in the groove and after a few weeks this resulted in the cartridge coil rusting. I still have the rusting body as a trophy.

Around the Clearaudio Accurate time I switched to a Denon DL103 for a change. We were hosting a fourth birthday party for my son. The guests were half down the garden enjoying the sun and having a chat. I returned to the kitchen at the front of the house to sort out some food and drinks. While there I stuck on a record and continued with my chores. After about 15 minutes I heard this horrid sound of a cartridge being dragging across a record. When I rushed into the front room I found a 4 year looking rather guilty and a cartridge with no cantilever. I was a little angry as you might imagine and the 4 year old rushed off in tears. This was followed by the wife giving me the third degree for upsetting one of the guests children. As a warning to all never play records in the presence of young children since they are attracted to turntables like fly's.

NB

Only my pocket, pride and one small child was hurt during the making of this confession.
    Last edited by jahsavage; 24-01-2021 at 14:35. Reason: typo
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars
    Out here we is stoned, immaculate
    The WASP - The Doors

I'm Kevin.

It is for this exact reason I am sticking with MM, until my daughter is older.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I have damaged a couple of cartridges. One a Grace F9E/14E hybrid :https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...3pissed-off%94. where I snapped the boron cantilever, and the second: a 'nuded' EMT TSD15 where I managed to break one of the lead out wires from the coil!
    Barry

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Broke a 103r on the second day of its use, but thankfully nothing else as yet.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Martin.

Snagged a tea towel on a Goldring Eroica LO and ripped the cantilever off of it. I'd only had it a month and I couldn't really afford it, it cost me a week's wages at the time.

Ironically I'd bought the tea-towel in the street off a gypsy woman who told me that it would bring me good luck.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

Ironically I'd bought the tea-towel in the street off a gypsy woman who told me that it would bring me good luck.
    LOL
    EMT 930ST
    Garrard 301/3009 MK1
    Micro Seiki MR-711/MA-202L
    Stax SRA-3S MM phono amplifier
    Nagra BPSv2 phonostage
    BigBottle BB3 Phonostage
    Telefunken Bv.42-01 Transformer
    Hashimoto HM-3 Transformer
    Braun CC4 Transformer
    Ortofon Spu Synergy
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Miyajima Waza
    Denon 103SA
    Audio Technica AT33 Mono
    IFI Pro Linestage
    PYE HF12 KT66 Monoblocks
    Uchida Sun Audio SV-300BE
    Crimson Elektrik CS1500
    Quantum Electronics 202D
    Marantz 1060 Integrated
    Western Electric Line Transformer
    Yamaha CDR-HD1500
    Tannoy 15" Bespoke

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Snagged a tea towel on a Goldring Eroica LO and ripped the cantilever off of it. I'd only had it a month and I couldn't really afford it, it cost me a week's wages at the time.

Who was that... Gypsy Rose Tea ?

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

This sounds like the start of a story?
    The WASP - The Doors

I'm Pavel.

Several years ago a Grace F8-C was destroyed because I was playing records with the dustcover open and my cat jumped on the turntable.

I also ruined a NOS Shure VN35HE which I was installing for a friend by dropping it. We both (the friend and myself) were very upset, I bought him a Jico SAS as a replacement.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    Several years ago a Grace F8-C was destroyed because I was playing records with the dustcover open and my cat jumped on the turntable.

I also ruined a NOS Shure VN35HE which I was installing for a friend by dropping it. We both (the friend and myself) were very upset, I bought him a Jico SAS as a replacement.
    It's good to share such grief with others! I'm glad I'm not the only one with skeletons in the cupboard.
    The WASP - The Doors

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast