+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can anyone identify this arm and cartridge ?

I'm Martin.

Default Can anyone identify this arm and cartridge ?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I have recently inherited my late Dads HiFi setup and am having problems identifying this arm and cartridge. Does anyone have any suggestions ? There are no visible names on either the arm or the cartridge, but the arm seems to pivot on three axes and is mounted on a home made plinth with a Garrard 301 turntable.

Apologies for the lack of pictures... the codes seem to be in the raw message ! Maybe I'm not allowed to post pictures until after a certain post count...

Here are some links as an alternative..

https://ibb.co/Y83kLZr

https://ibb.co/5vPYYKT

https://ibb.co/khBQZSr

https://ibb.co/F7zXTVJ

https://ibb.co/mqZmzfm

I'm Charlie.

Hi, the arm might be a Hadcock but not sure which model. Cart is a Decca and well regarded, I'd love to hear one! Very nice TT combo. Looks like your Dad favoured a leather mat on the 301, I wonder if he experimented much, suggests he might have enjoyed doing a bit of tweaking. I also favour a leather mat on these. Ah, just re-read your post and noticed plinth is also self-built, a man after my own heart. I hope you enjoy it!

I'm Nigel.

The arm looks like a later Hadcock 228, cartridge is probably a Decca. I’m sure Geoff or Barry, will be along shortly to confirm.
    The arm will need the droopy stub rubber replaced to perform at it’s best, otherwise it is a very capable arm once set up.

Nigel

I'm Martin.

Many thanks Chas, will see if I can chase this down...

Yes, he would spend many happy hours tweaking and comparing and fiddling. I shudder to think what what he spent on his HiFi over the decades ! This is the analogue front end system in its final iteration:

https://ibb.co/wS4JWdx
    https://ibb.co/zZ2pPk4

The units below the turntable [from top to bottom] are a valve based RIAA stage / preamp, a valve based stabilised power supply for the preamp stage. On the floor to the left is the turntable power supply and a spare Meridian 504 tuner.

I'm Martin.

Thanks for confirming Nigel. Please excuse my ignorance, but which bit is the stub rubber thats drooping ?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylspinner View Post
    The arm looks like a later Hadcock 228, cartridge is probably a Decca. I’m sure Geoff or Barry, will be along shortly to confirm.
    The arm will need the droopy stub rubber replaced to perform at it’s best, otherwise it is a very capable arm once set up.

Nigel
    Yup, exactly that: https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...g&action=click

Or a GH242. The cartridge looks like a Decca Gold.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Frank.

The GH242 variants had a stainless steel arm tube.

It's a 228 Super D-Type/E-Type/Export. Which goes back to the late 70s.

The rear stub which carries the counterweight is loose - or the rubber insert in the counterweight is at fault. I got one last year the same and it was the stub, which I re-glued.

Rear Stub.jpg
    Last edited by Columbo; 23-01-2021 at 22:10.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

It is one of the several 228 variants. Depending on when it was bought it could be the GH228 Super (from 1979), the GH228E with integral lift/lower mecanism (from 1980) or the GH228 Export (from 1982):

Hadcock GH 228 technical specifications
    Type : Unipivot. Overall armtube length : 289.6 mm (Export 307.34 mm). Effective length : 228.6 mm. Arm mount type : hole. Mount hole size : 15.87 mm. Height above mount : 43 ~ 90 mm. Pivot stem length : 86.4 mm. Pivot to platters centre : 212.85 mm (pre ca 78 models 212.80). Offset angle : 23°. Rear overhang : 60.09 mm. Adjustments available : Headshell angle, overhang, arm height, tracking weight, lateral balance, anti-skate and lift position. Bearing friction : 6mg. Tracking force : 0 ~ 5 grams. Pickup mount type : Standard 1/2 inch. Cartridge mass : 3 ~ 12 grams (14 grams with an optional 90 gram counterweight). RRP : 36 UKP (228 Super 1976), 98.90 UKP (228E 1981), 78.20 (228 Export 1982).

The cartridge is undoubtedly a Decca Mk. VI (also known as the Decca 'Gold') fitted with an elliptical stylus - but it could be a Decca 'Super Gold': a Decca Gold fitted with a Van den Hul stylus. The 'prow' of the body of the 'Super Gold' differs very slightly (I think it is a little blunter) from that of the 'Gold'; but it is impossible to tell from the photograph. Either way, they are both excellent cartridges used with an ideal pickup arm.
    Barry

I'm Frank.

First version I had was a Super D-Type Export, which was had in the late 70s. Looked exactly the same.

In real terms, the design hasn't changed after the plug & socket were adopted and the carrier also accommodated the lift/lower device. Well, apart from the E-Type, which, for a time, had lateral weights for balance when the elliptoid-fitting counterweight was done away with in favour of a central-fitting counterweight. At some point the typical elliptoid version returned.

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Many thanks indeed to Barry and all who answered... I am in awe of your knowledge of such things.

I have recently found the pickup cartridge box in the house and it is indeed a Decca cartridge - the 'Super Gold' version apparently.

+ Reply to Thread