+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Scotland

I'm Martin.

Default Hello from Scotland

Hi folks
    New kid (who am I kidding) on the block, I seem to have found a hifi forum that appears to be inhabited by normal people, which I hope will be enjoyable. I'll put together some words and pics about me, my system, and musical tastes and post later.
    Martin

I'm Gary.

Hi Martin,

Lots of us Scottish types live on here, get stuck it its a good place to be.
    Enjoy.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Geoff.

Hello Martin. Welcome to AOS.

Get chatting with the members, they're all friendly.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Robin.

Welcome to the forum Martin
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Grant.

yes, welcome to aos martin.. enjoy the forum...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Hi Martin,

Lots of us Scottish types live on here, get stuck it its a good place to be.
    Enjoy.
    It's "no bad". (Translation for non-Scots: Rather fine)

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    Hi folks
    New kid (who am I kidding) on the block, I seem to have found a hifi forum that appears to be inhabited by normal people, which I hope will be enjoyable. I'll put together some words and pics about me, my system, and musical tastes and post later.
    Martin
    Welcome to AoS Martin,

To quote The Bonzo Dog Band: "We are normal and we want our freedom".

Looking forward to reading about your system and of your tastes in music.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Welcome to AoS Martin,

To quote The Bonzo Dog Band: "We are normal and we want our freedom".

Looking forward to reading about your system and of your tastes in music.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Speak for yourself!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Martin.

Thanks for the welcome, some info.

I have two systems, one in my workshop is old and consists of Quad 34/FM4/405-II driving a pair of Rogers LS3/5As. The speakers I bought in I think 1976 they really don't owe me anything, they have been used and probably abused and still sound wonderful. Considering they were designed nearly sixty years ago for a very specific application which wasn't music balancing they are remarkably good although I wouldn't buy them new today, over priced for one thing. The electronics are getting on for 30 years old, I had them sorted by Fidele audio a couple of years back and again they owe me nothing. I am kind of wedded to Quad electronics as was my father and even the IAG version of that company produces good quality equipment, which brings me to my main system,
    IMG_1070.jpg
    If you don't recognise what's there, top right is a Cambridge CXNv2 into, top left Quad Artera pre into, underneath Icon Audio MB90 monoblocks running in Triode mode. On top of the Quad is an Icon Audio HP8 SET headphone amp feeding Audio Technica MTH40s. I need to do something about the furniture but I am somewhat dismayed by the asking prices for glorified tables with IMHO dubious claims to improve sound quality. Anyway that lot feeds a pair of these,
    IMG_1073.jpg
    PMC LB1, which I first heard at a trade show 30 odd years ago and fell in love with. I could never afford them and eventually PMC stopped making them as the bass drivers became unobtainable. I was lucky to find these on Ebay and snatched them from the other 36 watchers who were too mean to pay the asking price. They have the sweet mid range of the LS3/5 but with decent top and bottom response.

Two weeks ago the power amp was the Quad Artera which I really like, but I had a hankering to try a big valve set up and by chance on my birthday the mono blocks, three years old, appeared on Fanthorpes website at more or less half price, so I had them, and since they had another nearby customer they delivered them to my front door step. Pretty good service I feel, especially at the moment.

Musically I like pretty much anything but since I am now 67 my first unaccompanied musical exposure was Radio Caroline South where Johnnie Walker introduced me to soul music which I would admit to being my first love.

Finally a personal bit, I spent 20 years in the professional audio industry, half of it with BBC Engineering and the other with a small company building radio stations in the UK and the Far East which was great fun if not particularly financially rewarding, I would do that bit of my life again in an instant mostly. Three years ago my wife organised a trip to the States for us and in one day I stood in the studio and control room at Sun Studios and the reconstruction of Stax records, both in Memphis and on that day it became clear that Hifi is just the means to the end, the music is far more important. Doesn't seem to have prevented me spending lots of money though chasing the unobtainable.

Best wishes to you all
    Martin

I'm Sandy.

Wondering if your Quad kit came from James Kerr's formerly in Woodlands Road?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast