+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Equipment racks - is the cost justifiable?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    What does that Concorde 'DJ' cartridge sound like, Barry, and what on earth possessed you to buy it?

Love the Revox CDP. Looks like it was used for broadcast purposes.

Marco.
    It's an Ortofon moving coil cartridge and its 'Concorde' shape was used on later Ortofon fixed coil designs, which are now marketed and sold as DJ cartridges.

The MC200 came after the MC20 and MC30 designs and received mixed reviews: Martin Colloms in HiFi Choice rated it as 'average', whereas Noel Keyword in Practical Hi Fi (?) though well of it placing it alongside the likes of other MC cartridges such as Fidelity Research, Dynavector and Audio Technica. I have always wanted to try one and prefer it to both the MC20E I once had, and to the MC25FL, but IMO it's not as good as the early Ortofon MCs, or of the later SPUs.
    Barry

I'm Adam.

Lol - do you *really* think that's why I've got all my kit under about 15 levels of Mana?l
    Have you really?

Seriously?!!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It's an Ortofon moving coil cartridge and its 'Concorde' shape was used on later Ortofon fixed coil designs, which are now marketed and sold as DJ cartridges.

The MC200 came after the MC20 and MC30 designs and received mixed reviews: Martin Colloms in HiFi Choice rated it as 'average', whereas Noel Keyword in Practical Hi Fi (?) though well of it placing it alongside the likes of other MC cartridges such as Fidelity Research, Dynavector and Audio Technica. I have always wanted to try one and prefer it to both the MC20E I once had, and to the MC25FL, but IMO it's not as good as the early Ortofon MCs, or of the later SPUs.
    A friend of mine has just bought the p-mount version and says it’s superb. Reckons it has transformed his SL-10
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Have you really?

Seriously?!!
    Yes - I've seen it!
    Barry

I'm brian.

He s a manas man. Full stop

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Have you really?

Seriously?!!
    Lol, yup. Had it since around 2002. My first proper hi-fi rack was a Target one, in 1999, and around the same time as I started experimenting with dedicated mains for hi-fi, then a dedicated earth, using multiple earth rods, etc.

Anyway, I've just counted the Mana, and one stack (currently housing my Copper amp and Tandberg tape deck), has 15 levels, and the other stack has 14 levels, including a 6-tier non-magnetic stainless steel rack, which is rare and made not long before the company went bust, which at the time alone cost £1800.

Each other 'level', or stage in Mana Acoustic parlance, cost £200 a pop, so work it out... Probably more than most people's whole systems cost.

I'll take some pics tomorrow. It makes a BIG contribution to the sound of my system (blind tested many times, when I was anal enough to worry about that stuff), and one of the main reasons I can achieve such a controlled and lifelike sound in such a small room, using 'wardrobes', containing 15" Tannoys as speakers, lol.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

I'll take some pics tomorrow. It makes a BIG contribution to the sound of my system blind tested many times,

What was the methodology of these tests? Were they double-blind? How many correct guesses out of how many attempts? Was the source a turntable or something else?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Lol - was that tongue in cheek?

Do you think I'm going to get into that here, engage in a tit for tat argument with you, and turn this thread (the likes of which always do) into a pointless objectivist vs. subjectivist bun fight?

Because no matter what I say, it won't change your entrenched views, and you won't change mine, so there's simply no point. But if you're going to play the age old 'you've imagined it' card, then I'm going to come and defend myself!

Just take my word for it, Martin - it's been tested, among sceptics and non-sceptics, in various ways, countless times, in countless different situations, homes and shows, with all manner of equipment, since I discovered Mana, previously having used the 'wobbly plastic' stuff Rob referred to earlier (Quadraspire Acrylic Reference), which was part of the AoS system we demo'd at Scalford in 2009, the (night and day level) obvious sonic effect of which many people heard.

Then latterly I used Naim Fraim [if you so desire, look it up], which I swapped for Mana (causing much rancour and controversy at the time in the forum world, as previously I was a very vocal and staunch 'non-ferrous' guy), then spent the ensuing years discussing, debating (in the inth detail) and fighting on forums (before AoS was born), about my views on the matter: the infamous, and at times brutally rabid, ferrous vs. non-ferrous 'stand wars' - LONG before you discovered hi-fi forums!

So.... Honestly I've been three, done that and bought the t-shirt, three times over, and learned things in this area you haven't even thought of yet! I *AM* the standmeister

Anyway, pics to follow - if the light is good enough later!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

I have to agree on this due to my own experiences. What you plonk you equipment on will make a difference to how that equipment sounds, especially turntables but valve equipment also benefits from either isolation or proper support/rack/furniture.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Exactly my experience too, Jim. You don't have to go daft though (or loopy-loo crazy like me), but simply something that looks nice, gets the kit up off the floor, and if you really want to hear differences, preferably something that's been deigned/engineered to address the effects of vibration/microphony in audio equipment.

Btw, at the other end of the scale, and complete opposite design principles from Mana (light and non-ferrous), here's some MusicWorks Revo madness: https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...o-3-tier-stand

Also a pic of Steve Toy's TD Copper amp (largely same as mine) sat atop his MW Revo rack, from the TD website (scroll down a bit): https://tubedistinctions.co.uk/project/the-copper-amps/

Yes, serious audiophiles pay proper attention to their 'system infrastructure' - it's not just all about the gear and the speakers!!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast