+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Equipment racks - is the cost justifiable?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've experienced the effect myself but I reckon it is entirely psychological.

Firstly it's been tested, solid state amps and DACs have been subjected to large amounts of vibration whilst output was measured, nothing changed.

Also if you think about the levels of vibration in an aircraft, and all the solid state electronics controlling the aircraft, if their performance was affected by that vibration it might have serious consequences. Gauges reading wrong and so forth, it would be a known issue in the real world, not just in hi-fi.
    Ahhh, just because you can’t measure it doesn’t mean you can’t hear it, or some people hear it in some systems to be more precise.

I don’t buy the aircraft analogy, the vibrational noise is low enough to keep the aircraft well within its operational parameters to keep it in the air.

I do not deny psychoacoustics , but I think most people with decent hearing could hear when I swapped out those 3 bases from under my system components.

Now, I’ll never convince some people of that on an internet forum but from my experience (and lots of experimentation with vibration control products). Vibration control can make audible improvements and its not just about analogue components. You can spend a lot of money on this stuff and it may make no difference in your system. IMO then you have exceptionally well designed and engineered kit that they have designed to dampen vibrations , or you kit is just not resolving enough, or some folks may just not be sensitive to hear it. I’m not going to debate this anymore than that, this is a subjectivists forum and these things just go circular.

Let your ears be the judge , but you should be able to repeat hearing these improvements.

If you want bang for your buck FO.q dampening tape ta32 and ta102 a pack of each about £40 a pack from japan. Extremely versatile in what you can do with it, if you just want to try 1 go for the thinner one its much more versatile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Discopants View Post
    . I’m not going to debate this anymore than that, this is a subjectivists forum and these things just go circular.
    Indeed but I wouldn't want anyone reading this thread to draw the conclusion that there is in any way a consensus on the matter.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adam.

I was always cynical about such things, although going from a good old black ash MDF MFI rack to a cheap set of Apollo shelves didn’t half make a difference! Mainly in lack of wobble, admittedly...

Then, a few years back I reviewed an Atacama Equinox Celebration rack with the twin layer isolated glass shelves.

Let’s just say that rack never went back to Atacama and I’ve since bought two more!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Martin.

Indeed but I wouldn't want anyone reading this thread to draw the conclusion that there is in any way a consensus on the matter.
    From what i read, there is very little consensus on most things In audio reproduction apart from possibly in room speaker response where measurements tell you most of the story

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Pete.

Totally in line with my experience Discopants !

The EVP's [https://avroomservice.com/evp-2/] are the only product that provided a significant sound improvement [repeatable] to my Sony Hapz1ES...

These were kindly donated for a "warts and all" review for my facebook group " hi fi tips and tweaks" unfortunately the whims of customs and excise decided that the advice given on there website ie products for review or demonstration purposes are free of duty The Operative with whom I had a very long correspondence over several months said " just because its say so on our website does not mean I can't demand duty from whom I please ".......yes and I am still annoyed 3 years down the line. So to release the items I paid the duty ..therefore I now own them rather than being a group demonstration item ..hay ho. I only say this to put my relationship with the vendor into context.

If you then marry the EVP's with say a TNT Flexy stand [ http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html ]
    you will have an equipment stand that will rival many at 10 times the build cost.

I'm guy.

The old "sound organisation" tables (that started it all?) can still be found on eBay for reasonable money, I have some myself and think that they look quite cool. Whether or not they improve the sound is debatable (some would say they adversely affect solid state electronics by putting all the equipment transformers in close proximity).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sound-Org...8AAOSwaXJgDrCr
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I've experienced the effect myself but I reckon it is entirely psychological.
    Lol - do you *really* think that's why I've got my kit under about 15 levels of Mana?

Come on... You should know what I'm like by now, mate; I *only* use stuff that genuinely WORKS!

And I've been using and experimenting with 'foo racks' for well over 20 years... As I've said before, one of the reasons my system sounds so good is because of the dedicated mains and what it sits on, including all other aspects of supplying the system with the correct 'infrastructure', and the huge attention to detail I've paid in that respect to those areas.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Or I'd hope also any consensus or implication that those who, from years of experience, *know* that well-designed equipment racks make a considerable difference to the sonic performance of the partnering equipment, are somehow 'imagining' the effect

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

My turntable sits on an extension to a brick fireplace, and the electronics sit on either a wall-mounted shelf or on a record storage unit.

Barry

What does that Concorde 'DJ' cartridge sound like, Barry, and what on earth possessed you to buy it?

Love the Revox CDP. Looks like it was used for broadcast purposes.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast