+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Equipment racks - is the cost justifiable?

I'm Phil.

What have I started?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol - worry not, Phil. These types of threads often get a little 'heated', but the difference here is that I won't allow things to get out of control or turn into a bun fight, lasting for countless pages, before giving up trying to moderate it, and end up binning the lot as indeed frequently happens elsewhere

I would ask everyone to remember that AoS is (and always will be) a staunchly pro-subjectivist. 'ears first' forum, and so whilst you can disagree with someone's subjectivist views, and challenge them accordingly, robustly if necessary, but politely, it is totally unacceptable to imply that someone has 'imagined' something, simply because what they're saying is seemingly at odds with 'the science'.

'Proof' of anything works both ways, and that includes proving that a person has been 'fooled' into believing that something exists, but which isn't genuine. That simply can't be done unless you can get inside their heads.....!

There are many genuine things we can hear in audio, but as yet remain unproven. However, that doesn't automatically mean they don't exist - and so I won't have these types of discussions essentially shut down by naysayers intent only on 'winning' an argument!

It stifles discussion, and worse scares off folk who may have bought some form of, what's often ignorantly and discourteously referred to as 'foo', and who simply want to discuss their experiences of it with other likeminded people, without essentially being made to feel like a fool!

That does not serve the subjectivist ethos this site was founded upon, which some folks might like to familiarise themselves with again, by reading the 'Our Ethos' section, or subsequently allow the relating of subjective experiences among the membership, with a view to promoting new learning.

Anyway, I just wanted to nail that one on the head. When I get the chance later, I'll comment on your opening post and offer some constructive advice, based on my not inconsiderable experience in this area

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - just like the wife told you last night?

Marco.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

It is interesting that equipment racks have been manufactured from just about every material going, glass, plastic, metal wood, stone,laminate etc and sometimes a combination of materials. Each material has differing levels of acoustic vibration , knock on a piece of wood and then a sheet of glass and you can simply hear it never mind feel it and therefore will also effect whatever is sitting on it.

The clever bit is to fashion the materials into an effective support that does not add vibration back into your equipment or unduly affect its performance hence why some serious manufacturers have investigated this and invested product development to find effective solutions. I don't believe one solution fits all and indeed difference equipment responds to different materials in either a negative or positive way.

Obvious pieces of kit like a turntable are highly susceptible to vibration and the materials upon which they sit but so are DACs or anything with a crystal oscillator as are indeed valve amps. I have found that everything in a system does respond to where and on what it is placed and so equipment racks are a key part of a systems performance.

In an ideal world you would keep trying different racks made from different materials to find which one suited your equipment best but this is both very time consuming and expensive but as i found with a very substantial piece of new furniture gains in sound quality can be quite profound.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Tee-hee... Or not, as they case may be!

Btw, on another note, I should add that the only remaining genuine bit of Mana, from the stacks I posted pics of earlier, is the 6-tier tack, which I kept a) because it works really well, and b) because it's one of about only 6 made, shortly before the company went bust, and would command a considerable price on ebay, from aficionados.

The rest are replicas I had made at a local ironworks, to the same spec as the originals, which I sold for a tidy sum. The replicas perform exactly the same function at a fraction of the price. For example, an official Mana Soundstage or 'level' used to sell for £200. I had the same things made for £45...

As they say, ching, ching, that's ASDA price!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Are the manas not being made again? Thought I read something
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Not that I'm aware of, mate. I was friends with the owner (John Watson), indeed we still exchange Xmas cards, and haven't heard anything. He must be 70 now and doesn't need the money, so unless he's sold the rights to someone else who's making the stands, which of course is possible

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    It is interesting that equipment racks have been manufactured from just about every material going, glass, plastic, metal wood, stone,laminate etc and sometimes a combination of materials. Each material has differing levels of acoustic vibration , knock on a piece of wood and then a sheet of glass and you can simply hear it never mind feel it and therefore will also effect whatever is sitting on it.

The clever bit is to fashion the materials into an effective support that does not add vibration back into your equipment or unduly affect its performance hence why some serious manufacturers have investigated this and invested product development to find effective solutions. I don't believe one solution fits all and indeed difference equipment responds to different materials in either a negative or positive way.

Obvious pieces of kit like a turntable are highly susceptible to vibration and the materials upon which they sit but so are DACs or anything with a crystal oscillator as are indeed valve amps. I have found that everything in a system does respond to where and on what it is placed and so equipment racks are a key part of a systems performance.

In an ideal world you would keep trying different racks made from different materials to find which one suited your equipment best but this is both very time consuming and expensive but as i found with a very substantial piece of new furniture gains in sound quality can be quite profound.
    Good post, Jim - exactly my experience. You're also spot on with the bits in bold, although for me it's more about which 'solution' best addresses the conditions present in a specific environment, with regards to vibration, than the equipment itself necessarily responding to different materials, although there could be a bit of both

TBH, in all the years I've been into hi-fi, it's no coincidence that the best sounding systems I've heard have always been those where the owner has paid proper attention to set up, and getting what I call the 'infrastructure' right.

Therefore, if I was advising a newbie to this game on how best to build a system that would provide long term sonic and musical satisfaction and/or create a platform that would ably highlight what the electronics were doing (therefore reducing the likelihood of making mistakes, simply through writing off kit that in reality hasn't been heard properly), it would be to spend 30% of their budget on decent stands and cables, and which in the long term would provide dividends.

Too many people fixate far too much on simply the boxes and speakers, and as a result end up with no more than a mediocre sound, compared with what the same gear could be capable of, if set up more carefully or differently - and I have demonstrated that effect many times, not only with visitors to my home, or at shows, but also when I worked in hi-fi retail.

Consequently, more often than not, I'm able to visit people, listen to their systems, and if they're willing, notably improve the sound for FREE, simply by applying a few well-known tweaks, never mind anything else... You simply can't put a price on experience

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - do you *really* think that's why I've got my kit under about 15 levels of Mana?

Come on... You should know what I'm like by now, mate; I *only* use stuff that genuinely WORKS!

And I've been using and experimenting with 'foo racks' for well over 20 years... As I've said before, one of the reasons my system sounds so good is because of the dedicated mains and what it sits on, including all other aspects of supplying the system with the correct 'infrastructure', and the huge attention to detail I've paid in that respect to those areas.

Marco.
    Surely if it worked, you would only need one layer?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Grant.

well if 1 layer is 90%, 2 is 98.1% etc.. or is it 99..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast