+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice regarding speaker compatibility with amplifier - impedance

I'm Les.

Default Advice regarding speaker compatibility with amplifier - impedance

Hi Guys,

I'm not very up on electronics, so apologies if this has been asked a million times before.

My old Sugden A48 MkII (circa 1980, with the red stripe) is rated for 8 Ohm speakers. Would pairing with 6 Ohm speakers cause it any problems?
    Its power output is 45W / channel.
    Thanks

I'm inthescottishmafia.

The rating is nominal, it will be fine.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Shouldn’t be a problem, although the impedance varies across the frequency range on loudspeakers, sometimes by quite a long way. Speaker manufacturers sometimes offer an impedance graph which will show the lowest load the speakers will present.

What speakers do you have / are you looking to buy?

I'm Les.

Thanks Ali,
    I kinda thought that - I just didn't want to kill the old amp by making a "schoolboy error" by pairing it with speakers more suited to a more modern amp.
    Last edited by atumshie; 17-01-2021 at 14:40. Reason: additional question

I'm Les.

Thanks Rob,

I'm looking at the Elac UB52s. I think the lowest load is around 5.5 Ohms, sure I saw that somewhere can't find where though.
    Currently have MA Bronze BX2
    Have you or indeed any one, heard much about them?

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I love the Elac BS 243s, superb speakers. Elac make top notch stuff indeed, and the UB52s shouldn’t worry your Sugden.

They’re not particularly sensitive at 85dB/W/m so you’ll be further up the volume dial than with your MAs, but the speed and clarity of those drive units will surprise you no doubt! Nice choice and certainly don’t worry about the impedance, Elac actually quote 6 Ohms as the minimum.

I'm Les.

Thanks Rob, always good to have a sanity check before diving in with both feet.
    I'm getting them on a home trial first so I'll be able to tell if the decrease in sensitivity distresses my wife
    I need something that gives me more than the BX2s in terms of soundstage and clarity, so I'm gonna start with the Elacs. If they don't fit, I'll maybe the Quad S2s as I don't have a huge budget available

I'm BigBobJoylove.

They’ll be a step up no doubt, well made speakers. Less bright than the MAs too which will make them a good match for the Sugden. Good to be able to trial before buying.

I’ve not heard the S2s so I can’t comment on those, but Quad make some good speakers.

I'm Les.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    They’ll be a step up no doubt, well made speakers. Less bright than the MAs too which will make them a good match for the Sugden. Good to be able to trial before buying.

I’ve not heard the S2s so I can’t comment on those, but Quad make some good speakers.
    I'll report back once I've managed to have a listen. Thanks for the help to both you and Ali

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Enjoy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast