+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vinyl fever

I'm Peter.

Default Vinyl fever

I have been given some vinyl and a Garrard 86SB turntable with Shure M75-6 cartridge and I am enjoying listening to my small collection. I am toying with the idea of getting the M75ED stylus when this shows signs of wear. Does anyone know if it will fit onto the cartridge body I have?
    Luckily my donor liked the same type of music as me. The collection varies from excellent condition to well worn but I am enjoying them all, unfortunately all the sleeves are in poor condition because my mate had a cat which used them as a scratching post. It is impossible to read the titles or even see what colour the sleeve was originally.
    I was just listening to Pink Floyd, The Final Cut, a much underrated LP IMHO.
    I had seen many pictures of vinyl playing with a "puck" on the centre so I thought I'd have a go at making one.
    The results are pictured.
    The first is made of solid steel with a felt bottom. It weighs 1.4 kg which is a bit much for the poor old Garrard's springs and possibly the bearings.
    P1010014.jpg

I have always loved the look of the Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference turntable so the second puck is an homage to its iconic design. It weighs 260 grammes.
    The first puck tightens up the bass considerably (even taking into account the rest of the system) but I have not given the Hydraulic puck a sufficient listen yet to see what the difference is.

P1010011.jpg
    Anyway, it used up a day or so in my workshop during our enforced isolation.
    I just love to play.
    Let me know what you all think.

The rest of the system (at the moment) The turntable plays into a Technics SU-X840 amp which I have modified to be a pre-amp. This feeds an IMG Stageline STA520 PA amp into a pair of B&W DM2A speakers.

I'm Brian.

Love the design of the second one Peter , you should sell those
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Peter.

Hi Brian,
    Thanks for the reply. I am chuffed with the look. My wife said I should sell them as well but it would turn a hobby into a business and probably suck all the enjoyment out of both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Love the design of the second one Peter , you should sell those

I'm Brian.

Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hello Peter,

Yes a replacement stylus for the M75ED should fit the body of the Shure M75-6, but for your Garrard turntable and arm i would recommend using a replacement stylus for the M75EJ.

The B&W DM2as are very good speakers.

Barry
    Barry

I'm Peter.

Hi Barry,
    Thanks for the info. I meant to say EJ but brain fade won again. I don't think the Garrard would be good enough for the ED which (if my memory is any good) was too compliant for lower grade tonearms.
    I had a M75ED Type II in a SME back in the good old days. Unfortunately sold the arm and turntable in plinth & cover for £25. That shop must have been happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Hello Peter,

Yes a replacement stylus for the M75ED should fit the body of the Shure M75-6, but for your Garrard turntable and arm i would recommend using a replacement stylus for the M75EJ.

The B&W DM2as are very good speakers.

Barry

I'm Adam.

Don’t worry about the heavy weight on the bearing - Garrard knew how to engineer these things properly.

Obviously the suspension springs are another matter!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread