+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Benchmark DAC2 HGC or Topping D90?

I'm Kevin.

Default Benchmark DAC2 HGC or Topping D90?

I am looking for a new DAC.
    Pretty much narrowed it down to these two.

Which one would you go for?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Alastair.

I have a D90. It is very good. I currently use USB input and Bluetooth, which is surprisingly good and family friendly. I have a Pi2AES on order to try out AES and I2S inputs which are supposed to be better than USB. They would also allow me to remove a reclocker and a couple of expensive USB cables.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm stuart.

2 completely different beasts. What type and how many digital inputs do you need as the benchmark has 2 optical, 2 coax and a USB, the topping has the same number of digital inputs but spread over 5 different formats. Benchmark has 2 analogue inputs and 3 analogue outputs the topping has no analogue inputs and 2 analogue outputs. The benchmark has no Bluetooth the topping has Bluetooth. Benchmark remote could be used as a heavy blunt instrument to do someone damage , the topping remote is a nice bit of plastic.
    The 2 optical and 2 coax were of much more use to me than AES and I2s and I have no need for Bluetooth so I chose the benchmark. It sounds wonderful.
    Garrard 401, Jelco 750 with Shuggie, Ortofon 2M Black / ZYX Yatra 100, Project Phono RS with Sigma22 Linear PS, RPi3 + DigiOne + Linear PS, RPi3/1Tb SSD with PiCorePlayer + Linear PS, Perreaux Eloquence 250i 40th Anniversary with ES9038Pro DAC, DCG3 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 8x2 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 686 Power amp, Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Primare V25 CD player, Monitor Audio PL300, Sjostrom DCT03 DC Blocker.

I'm Kevin.

I need 2 coax, or one coax and one optical input. Not interested in USB, or IIS (at the moment).
    No analogue in required, as I have my pre-amp, although the DAC2 HGC may be good as a pre-amp?
    Kevin

I'm stuart.

The DAC2 HGC preamp is very good. I've been using it straight in to my Neurochome 686 and it's every bit as good as my Neurochrome 8x2 and my Salas DCG3 pre's, I'm honestly struggling to pick a favourite - they all sound different but I'm not sure any is better than the other. The Benchmark has a bunch of other features, download the manual and see if any of those are of interest to you - 2 headphone amps with adjustable gain, 12V trigger, XLR output pads, digital pass through, 2 digital outputs.
    Garrard 401, Jelco 750 with Shuggie, Ortofon 2M Black / ZYX Yatra 100, Project Phono RS with Sigma22 Linear PS, RPi3 + DigiOne + Linear PS, RPi3/1Tb SSD with PiCorePlayer + Linear PS, Perreaux Eloquence 250i 40th Anniversary with ES9038Pro DAC, DCG3 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 8x2 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 686 Power amp, Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Primare V25 CD player, Monitor Audio PL300, Sjostrom DCT03 DC Blocker.

I'm Kevin.

The Benchmark does sound interesting.
    I can sell my Graham Slee Solo UL + PSU1, fully upgraded Caiman SEG, with Dorado with Long Dog Audio PSU and it will almost be cost neutral.
    Then I can feed my BB3 (once built) into the DAC....
    Kevin

I'm Ian.

I use a Benchmark DAC 2 in my main system and have a Topping D50 in my second. The smaller Topping is excellent value for money.
    I've used Benchmark DACs for many years, my "old "DAC 1 HDR is still in use in a family members system.
    Benchmarks DAC performance has always been superb but they are one of the few who marry it to a Pre amp and allow the use of analogue sources. It gave me the input flexibility I wanted and also the option of Balanced or Unbalanced outputs. I use mine in balanced mode with 12M interconnects to my Hypex amps which are positioned behind my speakers with 12" cables, minimising the effect of LS cables.
    Benchmarks professional heritage shows through in the production standards of their product, even the handbook is not far short of a technical manual.

Im not sure what other equipment you use but one of the features of the benchmark is its user adjustable output level attenuator on the balanced outputs which allows one to match it to an amplifier.
    To get to what I considered the optimum performance from my Benchmark/Hypex combination I set the attenuator to 0 which gave me the lowest output impedance, I reduced the gain of my Hypex amps (1 resistor change) to match.

If had your choice to make and cost was not an issue Id buy another Benchmark.
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm Kevin.

It will be paired with a Modulus 686
    Kevin

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I’d favour the Benchmark. They are astonishing DACs with a massively high reputation and awards pouring out of their ears. I’m not doubting the Topping DACs as they’re reputedly good, but Benchmark are a much higher end product with a long history so that’d be where I’d place my money.

My next DAC choice will have the DAC3 HGC on the shortlist.

I'm stuart.

As far as I'm aware, and supposedly quoted to customers by Benchmark, the differences between the DAC2 HGC and DAC3 HGC are minimal so long as the DAC2 has at least 2.2 firmware. It's quite simple to upgrade a DAC2 to the latest firmware, it's a plug in chip and 2 jumpers moved, costs £60.

+ Reply to Thread