+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arcam rDAC vs Raspberyy Pi with DAC HAT

I'm Geoffrey.

Default Arcam rDAC vs Raspberyy Pi with DAC HAT

I am currently using an Arcam rDAC - the original one, and I stream to it wirelessly from a laptop using the associated dongle. This is mostly FLAC files from burned CDs that I've stored on my Synology NAS.

The rDAC is getting on for 10 years old, and I wondered how it compares with more modern solutions, and particularly a Raspberry Pi with a DAC HAT. I'm getting a Pi anyway, so I could also get a HAT and compare (not hugely expensive), but I was wondering if anyone has any experience, and would like to comment.

Thanks,
    Geoff

I'm ahto.

i used to have an rDac, many moons ago. my system has undergone many changes since then, but I can say with some confidence that the RPi + Katana i currently use (with Isolator 1.2) would not only comfortably see off the rDac, but everything I've heard at three or four times its price. the Katana only just loses out to the Wadia 121 + Vecteur transport combination i use to play CDs.
    Lenco L75 in a very heavy plinth /Hadcock 228 /London Decca Blue /Croft SMA IV Octal with separate 2020 PSU/ Croft 7R monos /Harbeth SHL5

Fletcher .3 /Hadcock 228 / Denon 103R/ Croft HeadAmp /Croft Mega Micro II (2015) /Croft Series 5 MkIi /Markaudio SOTA Cesti B

Leak Troughline III GTA / Vecteur D-2.2 / Wadia 121 / Katana, Isolator & RPi /RFC & AntiCable

I'm Geoffrey.

Thanks for the info.

I probably won't jump to the Katana just yet - probably go with the Alloo Boss, and 'work up from there' if I feel the need. My systems are generally 'mid-fi' rather than hi-fi.

Geoff

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey Stevens View Post
    Thanks for the info.

I probably won't jump to the Katana just yet - probably go with the Alloo Boss, and 'work up from there' if I feel the need. My systems are generally 'mid-fi' rather than hi-fi.

Geoff
    Let me know if you're serious about a Boss, I've a 1.2 version I need to get rid of, no longer needed £30 inc UK postage.

I used it powered separately from the Pi as no jumper on it, but sounds better that way anyway.

I'm Geoffrey.

Hi Mike, yes, I may be interested.

However, I'm afraid that I don't understand your second sentence re 'no jumper' - I'm new to this stuff. Are you saying that your Pi is missing a connection to the HAT, and, therefore, the HAT needs its own power supply? I want to make sure that the Boss is functioning normally, and is 'complete'. Presumably the V1.2 Boss that you are offereing is the current 'Master' product as advertised (at PiHut, for example).

Thanks,
    Geoff

I'm Mike.

Default Arcam rDAC vs Raspberyy Pi with DAC HAT

Sorry thought I’d put this in a pm, didn’t want to impose on someone else’s thread, deleted and pm on its way Geoff.
    Last edited by mikeyb; 18-01-2021 at 23:07.

+ Reply to Thread