+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SPDIF Reclockers

I'm Kevin.

Default SPDIF Reclockers

Do these products actually work?
    Just wondering if I can further improve my digital playback by fitting a reclocker for the coaxial SPDIF connection?

I have no experience of these devices, so thought it best to ask before I waste any money.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Dan.

Considering that the clock signal is embedded in the S/PDIF signal, i would hazard a guess that they do absolutely nothing but add noise.
    I have no direct experience with these particular devices but as far as i know once jitter is present, it can't be removed from the data stream.
    If it was I2S, then it would be possible.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I had a reclocker for a while, can’t remember who it was made by, although the name was the same as an airline though I do remember that.

It changed the sound, but didn’t improve it. It went back on eBay shortly after acquisition. They may have been useful 20 years ago, but not now IMO.

Much better to use the cost toward a DAC upgrade.

**EDIT - It was made my Monarchy Audio**

I'm Kevin.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

I own a Theta TLC and a Monarchy Audio DIP 48/96, I find both are beneficial to the sound.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Tony.

Man the Monarchy Dip Jeez that's a blast from the past I had forgotten about those, Adrian @ English Audio sold me one back in 1996, still got the little thing somewhere it did a bit but technology has moved way on since then, neat little product though
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    Man the Monarchy Dip Jeez that's a blast from the past I had forgotten about those, Adrian @ English Audio sold me one back in 1996, still got the little thing somewhere it did a bit but technology has moved way on since then, neat little product though
    Is that English Audio in Hereford? Bought my first proper amp and cd player from there. Top chaps.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Andrew.

Digital re clockers are not really aimed at domestic audio but a pro audio . In a set up rack there could be up to 5/6 or more digital items all with their own digital clock often a different levels to each other a reclocker or in some cases master clock sets the clock for all of them referenced to a single clock keeping them all in step and timed to each other . This can reduce timing issues and jitter .

In a domestic set up were there may one or two digital sources it may well make little difference if you use AES EBU digital connections they will have timing information included and there could in theory be an uplift in the quality of the clock used by the reclocker . Connected SPDIF I would say I am not sure and doubt that it would make a huge difference but then again as these things are often expensive i have never tried it so not possible to say it will make no difference but i think it unlikely .

What would make a difference if most of your listening is from CD is to use proper 75 ohm sockets / plugs and interconnects this means using BNC at source and destination and 75 cable .

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Bencat View Post
    In a domestic set up were there may one or two digital sources it may well make little difference if you use AES EBU digital connections they will have timing information included and there could in theory be an uplift in the quality of the clock used by the reclocker . Connected SPDIF I would say I am not sure and doubt that it would make a huge difference but then again as these things are often expensive i have never tried it so not possible to say it will make no difference but i think it unlikely .

What would make a difference if most of your listening is from CD is to use proper 75 ohm sockets / plugs and interconnects this means using BNC at source and destination and 75 cable .
    Hello Andrew

I am curious as to why you think a correctly designed and implemented product would have none or very little effect on AES format and impedance matched terminations on SPDIF?

As we run run both recording studios and domestic audio sales and have experience with this, would you mind giving us your thoughts I am interested?
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Andrew.

Hello Mr C as always these views are my own personal view and as I have no professional or technical ability in these areas and are just my ideas that others can read or dismiss as they wish . Master Clocks and Reclockers are in the main designed and made for professional use where lots of digital equipment is linked together and used in the recording or mixing process. In this area and situation I can easily see why making them all digitly keep time is not only a good idea but for the final result might even be essential to get the best possible results . Sadly as my experiences in professional studios is limited i have never been able to test hearing a recording made with and without the use of these items to hear the difference

As I mentioned in most domestic situations there is most likely only a single digital source perhaps two . AES / EBU has timing information included in its transmission and this could be improved by stripping away the timing information and resending it out with a more accurate and better timing provided by the high quality clock in the Master / reclocker unit. I have heard this done in my own system a couple of times using a Black Lion Micro Clock and an Antelope OCX HD and in both cases despite the huge difference in price what I heard as the end result was not that different . There was some improvements but they were marginal at best to my ears. This is not any suggestion that either of these do not work they are just not designed to work as most people use them in a domestic setting .

There is also differences in audio equipment and pro gear one of which is that many Audio DAC's have reclocking systems already built in and so will often strip out and regenerate the better signal they are sent which will negate much of the difference or improvement . Pro gear on the other hand often has the option of switching from a master to a slave clock which will according to what I understand then give you the best possible difference or improvement from the Master / Reclocker .

I do know and have heard with anyone using mainly CD digital at red book standard that getting a proper and correct 75 ohm connection from send to receive makes a difference and gets the best out of your CD based music . This difference was quite noted and well in excess of any differences I noted with a clock change , but of course this only my ears and my music in my system other will make their own judgement . There is currently on other forums quite a bit of talk of the improvement of adding a Mutec MC-3 + in the digital chain and many say the improvements for them are very dramatic . I have not yet heard one of these units in my system and given the cost i think it unlikely I will get the chance unless I am able to borrow a unit to try . So I could not comment on if this would work any better but I have my doubts , but that is all they are doubts until I get to listen properly i will not know for sure.

+ Reply to Thread