+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Glen Croft?

I'm Spartacus.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    There could be a correlation between parts shortages and the current cricket coverage with England v Sri Lanka
    I think Glenn only follows county cricket
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by kininigin View Post
    Yes I know what you mean by creeping up on you. I started with a Micro Basic, which was superb for the money. Then when moving up to the 25, it was obvious it was different as the Basic was more coloured but it took a few weeks listening to lots of different music to get a proper appreciation of what it could do and the way it just draws you in! Exactly that. I've always thought it would be helpful to have the previous kit on hand to plug in a few weeks after the upgrade to really prove the difference. The drop back down would be far more noticeable than the initial step up I suspect.

To be honest, if I had to stay with the 25 for the rest of my days, I'd be perfectly fine with that! So cannot wait ( well till the cricket has finished ) to get my hands on a 25RS.

Been looking at the Dact CT2 volume pots, which look good (relatively) value. Anyone use them or have any experience of them?
    . I;m not techie at all, so not looked at upgrading elements of the Crofts or tube rolling. Always interested in any significant improvements that are out there though, of course.
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

After seeing a croft RIAA R for sale on here, it's got me wondering if getting one of those and upgrading my pre to a 25RSLS would be a better option sound wise? Albeit more expensive.

Is the phono stage in the 25RS at the same level as the standalone Croft RIAA R?
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm James.

After seeing a croft RIAA R for sale on here, it's got me wondering if getting one of those and upgrading my pre to a 25RSLS would be a better option sound wise? Albeit more expensive.

Is the phono stage in the 25RS at the same level as the standalone Croft RIAA R?
    I think the Croft RIAA R phono stage is better than the one in the 25RS as I do not believe there is enough room to use for the full RIAA R treatment in a 25RS.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I think the Croft RIAA R phono stage is better than the one in the 25RS as I do not believe there is enough room to use for the full RIAA R treatment in a 25RS.
    Right, that makes sense. Wasn't sure where in the pecking order the 25RS was in relation to the RIAA R. Which I'm sure is fantastic anyway. I'm now leaning to separate phono stage and forgetting about upgrading the vol pots on the pre.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm James.

Right, that makes sense. Wasn't sure where in the pecking order the 25RS was in relation to the RIAA R. Which I'm sure is fantastic anyway. I'm now leaning to separate phono stage and forgetting about upgrading the vol pots on the pre.
    I think Glenn would tell you that the Riaa R or RS stage would now be his top spec phono stage. The RS I think has separate power supply I think so RIAA is just regulated one box but RS 2 box.

If you want to go further you could then have a Linestage with separate power supply, so you would end up with 4 boxes! There are only a few top companies in the world who do this including LAMM Industries.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I think Glenn would tell you that the Riaa R or RS stage would now be his top spec phono stage. The RS I think has separate power supply I think so RIAA is just regulated one box but RS 2 box.

If you want to go further you could then have a Linestage with separate power supply, so you would end up with 4 boxes! There are only a few top companies in the world who do this including LAMM Industries.
    Yes, I'm definitely going for the 2 stage pre, so now it's a matter of if I should go the whole hog with the 2 stage phono!? Why do I get the feeling I'm going to end up spending more than I planned ha. This is more than likely going to be last upgrade so why not some might say.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

I'm James.

I think a two stage phono stage may give an even bigger lift in SQ by removing the noisy toroid away from the delicate valves.

Would be interesting to know if the phono or pre benefits from separate power supply the most, I am sure Glenn would know��

I'm sure he would too. Not been able to contact him to ask, so I guess he's still busy with orders....or the cricket is still on? Either way, I've got money burning a hole in my pocket ha.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

I'm James.

I'm sure he would too. Not been able to contact him to ask, so I guess he's still busy with orders....or the cricket is still on? Either way, I've got money burning a hole in my pocket ha.
    Nice position to be in.

I wanted to cram the Croft RIAA phono stage into a 25R but unfortunately no room! I may go down the RIAA R route myself in future.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast