+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Glen Croft?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hello stranger!

Happy New Year! Hope you're well and that this isn't just a fleeting visit.....

Marco.
    Happy New Year Marco
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    I started yonks ago with a plain old 25 with phono stage and over the years have got Glenn to breathe on it as and when funds allowed so it's been a journey but that way I could appreciate the stepwise improvements. Aside from the 25 to 25RSLS line stage mods Glenn added a buffer stage to the line out circuit which I use to drive my Capella headphone amp. Before this mod there was an audible drop in SQ with the Capella connected. I run the preamp with a pair of Croft 7 monos. For phono stages I use a Tom Evans microgroove for my MC carts and a Rothwell Simplex with Fidelity Audio LPSU for my MM carts. I add in a Rothwell MC1-H SUT for my high output Mission 773 MC.

I'm using a highly modded SL 1210 with Mission 774 arm and Epos M22i speakers in this system.

For Digital I have a Cambridge Audio CXN 2 streamer and Cyrus XTSE2/PSxR transport with a Caiman SEG/Dorado

I have a TD150 with another Mission 774 arm and Decca Supergold cart into a Net Audio modded Quad 33/303 with a pair of Ruark Epilogue speakers and a REL Quake sub

Steve

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Some nice kit you have there! Would love to try a Decca at some point. They have always held an interest to me. Interesting about how you have upgraded a bit at a time and so could hear the benefits at each stage. This is something I'm slightly concerned about, if I was to go for fancy volume pots.

Well I have a bit of time to ponder as Glen has asked me to wait till next month as he has orders to catch up on.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm David.

I've had a similar journey equipment-wise, picked up my 25RSLS before Christmas and have struggled to do anything but listen since.
    I'm finding some music almost overwhelming now, due to greater soundstage and definition. Bizarrely, I'm enjoying some album tracks that for years I've skipped past. They just make more sense with the improved dynamics.
    Glenn did say at the time that he's backed up with orders, and of course England are playing cricket currently, so that might have a slight impact on productivity ?

I resisted the temptation to drop Glenn a line chasing an eta, and he contacted me as soon as it was ready.
    Communication after that was prompt, almost instant.

Mine took a good few days to run in. Initially the volume was all or nothing. 12 O'clock on the volume knobs is zero. I couldn't go past 1 O'clock without having to apologise to the neighbours.
    That quickly settled down and 1 to 4 O'clock is where most of the action is for me.
    A bit of harshness at the top end has mellowed too, and bass has become more defined.
    I really can't imagine upgrading further, though the Oppo 95 could be improved on at some point.

The bottom line is that I genuinely get excited each time I flick up those little power switches.

Enjoy ! I'm getting back to LCD Soundsystem, then some Sly and The Family Stone.
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    I've had a similar journey equipment-wise, picked up my 25RSLS before Christmas and have struggled to do anything but listen since.
    I'm finding some music almost overwhelming now, due to greater soundstage and definition. Bizarrely, I'm enjoying some album tracks that for years I've skipped past. They just make more sense with the improved dynamics.
    Glenn did say at the time that he's backed up with orders, and of course England are playing cricket currently, so that might have a slight impact on productivity ?

I resisted the temptation to drop Glenn a line chasing an eta, and he contacted me as soon as it was ready.
    Communication after that was prompt, almost instant.

Mine took a good few days to run in. Initially the volume was all or nothing. 12 O'clock on the volume knobs is zero. I couldn't go past 1 O'clock without having to apologise to the neighbours.
    That quickly settled down and 1 to 4 O'clock is where most of the action is for me.
    A bit of harshness at the top end has mellowed too, and bass has become more defined.
    I really can't imagine upgrading further, though the Oppo 95 could be improved on at some point.

The bottom line is that I genuinely get excited each time I flick up those little power switches.

Enjoy ! I'm getting back to LCD Soundsystem, then some Sly and The Family Stone.
    Hello David, sounds like you're really enjoying your music with the 25RS, which is what it is all about. You describe some of the improvements and experiences that I'm looking to get when I play music. Definitely looking for that wow moment, which I'm sure the 25RS will provide. Regardless whether I use some fancy pots or not.

Yes, forgot about his love of cricket, so won't pester him with questions just yet. Although I am keen to get the upgrades as soon as possible, I'll have to be a bit patient!

Nice choice of music by the way, not heard LCD Sound System for a long time! Will have to dig them out for a session.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Andrew.

Looks like he's out of transformers. I wanted my pre-amped modded and will have to wait until new supplies arrived.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Looks like he's out of transformers. I wanted my pre-amped modded and will have to wait until new supplies arrived.
    Oh really, well that's a shame. Hopefully he doesn't have to wait too long. Sounds like everyone is having lockdown upgrades and keeping him busy!
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

I'm David.

Sorry, I forget to mention that's exactly what Glenn told me.
    His biggest issue is getting parts from his suppliers. I'm sure he said he's ok for the casings though, so if you're just buying it for the crazy good looks, an empty box could probably be with you within the week.

Re "You describe some of the improvements and experiences that I'm looking to get when I play music. Definitely looking for that wow moment, which I'm sure the 25RS will provide." I've upgraded through the Croft range several times now, and in my opinion the first time the new kit's fired up it's never an earth shattering improvement.
    The sound just creeps up over time and I find myself hearing a new guitar line, or vocal harmonies. It's like having a new record collection, and more of a wow slowly spreading wave than a moment.
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm Andrew.

There could be a correlation between parts shortages and the current cricket coverage with England v Sri Lanka
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    There could be a correlation between parts shortages and the current cricket coverage with England v Sri Lanka
    Well we've got a three day window now, then a whopping 10 days until England take on India.

Till then I'm relaxing with the Crofts, a whiskey and Bill Withers. Damn, music makes me feel good.......

His biggest issue is getting parts from his suppliers. I'm sure he said he's ok for the casings though, so if you're just buying it for the crazy good looks, an empty box could probably be with you within the week.

Re "You describe some of the improvements and experiences that I'm looking to get when I play music. Definitely looking for that wow moment, which I'm sure the 25RS will provide." I've upgraded through the Croft range several times now, and in my opinion the first time the new kit's fired up it's never an earth shattering improvement.
    The sound just creeps up over time and I find myself hearing a new guitar line, or vocal harmonies. It's like having a new record collection, and more of a wow slowly spreading wave than a moment.
    Yes I know what you mean by creeping up on you. I started with a Micro Basic, which was superb for the money. Then when moving up to the 25, it was obvious it was different as the Basic was more coloured but it took a few weeks listening to lots of different music to get a proper appreciation of what it could do and the way it just draws you in!

To be honest, if I had to stay with the 25 for the rest of my days, I'd be perfectly fine with that! So cannot wait ( well till the cricket has finished ) to get my hands on a 25RS.

Been looking at the Dact CT2 volume pots, which look good (relatively) value. Anyone use them or have any experience of them?
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast