+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Glen Croft?

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by kininigin View Post
    I'm sure he would too. Not been able to contact him to ask, so I guess he's still busy with orders....or the cricket is still on? Either way, I've got money burning a hole in my pocket ha.
    They both benefit from the separate power supply but there are other differences also.

Ordered a few units from Croft this morning.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I think the Croft RIAA R phono stage is better than the one in the 25RS as I do not believe there is enough room to use for the full RIAA R treatment in a 25RS.
    He managed to fit a RIAA RS phono stage into my modded 25RS spec Micro A...

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlemaker View Post
    He managed to fit a RIAA RS phono stage into my modded 25RS spec Micro A...
    Sorry I think the 25RS is a two box preamp so yes there would be room to fir RIAA R phono stage into that.

Di you find the RIAA RS phono stage a big improvement over the standard phono John?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Sorry I think the 25RS is a two box preamp so yes there would be room to fir RIAA R phono stage into that.

Di you find the RIAA RS phono stage a big improvement over the standard phono John?
    Hi Jim, I had a mod/upgrade blitz a couple of years ago, so had the 2 box preamp upgrade as well as having my 7R made mono and adding another, and a paratrace retip for my cartridge, all at the same time. The total improvement was huge, but can't really isolate and quantify individual contributions. The intention at the time was to do the upgrade that would see me out, and it probably will...

I'm James.

Wow thats a lot of upgarding in one go there Stephen, I can imagine the huge improvement you got. Upgrading the phono stage has been a consideration of minefor sometime and there are so many ways to go with Croft gear. Most importantly I need to get the phono stage seperated from the preamp and PSU.

A more sophisticated phono stage can also be built when there is more room left in the box so I may consider doing this at the same time as seperating the PSU.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm David.

Hi all, I hope this doesn't seem like a thread hijack but as it's Croft related I thought it might be of interest to you. I posted it elsewhere a few weeks ago as I've found significant improvement in sound quality of my Croft set-up at zero cost, and by accident.

As a non techie type it's taken me seven years to discover that my Oppo CD/DVD player has a variable volume option, and I thought I'd try it out as my Croft preamp is sans remote control. Getting off the sofa to turn volume up and down, particularly with twin pots, can be a bit of a drag after a couple of glasses of Rioja. First World problem, I know.

I'm in a small terraced house and get on well with my neighbours so we have a compromise where they let me know if they're out for the evening leaving me free to cane the hifi guilt free, otherwise the Croft volume knobs stay at 3 O'Clock max.

Tonight, I'm controlling volume via the Oppo and the preamp is fixed at 7 O'clock. The transformation is significant. Separation, detail, tighter bass, even at low volume. I'm guessing this is because there's more juice flowing through the Croft.

I'm listening to the same CDs I played last night, 70s funk n soul, guitar rock and electronic dance and all are enhanced.
    If you have a source with variable volume I'd definitely suggest giving this a go.
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm John.

Been wondering recently what we'll all do if/when Glenn decides it's time to hang up his soldering iron...?

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlemaker View Post
    Been wondering recently what we'll all do if/when Glenn decides it's time to hang up his soldering iron...?
    Well I hope he doesn't before I get to upgrade my pre. How old is he out of interest? Still waiting for him to give the go ahead.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Mauro.

Sorry, how long does it usually take for Glenn to respond to emails?
    why is nothing ever simple?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by gerlando View Post
    Sorry, how long does it usually take for Glenn to respond to emails?
    Depends if there's cricket on or not

Sometimes right away sometimes days

I suppose it all depends how many emails he receives in a day, I expect he gets more than he can deal with from all over the world, especially if he's building/modifying kit too

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast