+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hello

I'm Kaleb.

Default hello

Hi I'm Kaleb

Long time dabbler in affordable hifi, was delighted to find a local pair of Atkinson SOTAs last year, and decided to upgrade my other bits in their honour.

Current main rig goes Pecan Pi DAC, Temple Audio Monoblocks (xlr), Atkinson SOTAs where I listen to everything (drone, acoustic, baleariac, jazz, grime, gospel, you name it)

Side rig for vinyl is Technics 1260 into Audiolab 8000a into Linn Index, where I listen almost exclusively to reggae. Really should do that on the SOTAs with their huge low end but the monoblocks only have one input and the streamer is my primary source...

Anyways, got some diagnostics to do on the SOTAs and hope you lot can help me out! Will be posting in another thread shortly

Thanks

I'm Rob.

Welcome Kaleb.

I have never heard of the Atkinson SOTA's

Not a lot of info by Googling, but the above pic was in a thread on HFWW. Looks like a KEF bass unit? Look very interesting.

I like a good dose of Dub, Jazztronica, Ambient, Jazz.
    Have fun here.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Lawrence.

That's the State of the Art TL loudspeaker? Have seen pics but never heard any. There was a bit of competition to design the best TL speakers in the 70s.

I'm not sure these add much to the equation with the (presumably) twinned Celestion HF1300s (copied from a BBC design I think) for the upper mid range. Eventually the increased complexity of the crossover and the closeness of the points will negate the benefit of separating the frequencies between more and more drivers, but I hope to be corrected on that.

It's also possible the cabinets/line have improvements but I haven't seen the designs for years so can't recall.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Kaleb.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Welcome Kaleb.

I have never heard of the Atkinson SOTA's

Not a lot of info by Googling, but the above pic was in a thread on HFWW. Looks like a KEF bass unit? Look very interesting.

I like a good dose of Dub, Jazztronica, Ambient, Jazz.
    Have fun here.
    Hi Puffin,

Thanks. We must be in a tiny corner of the internet - those are my speakers! I remember the chap who sold them to me had stacked them that way when I went to buy them - he must've posted a snap.

Yes, it's a B139 sub. The bass extension is wonderful.

I'm Kaleb.

Here's my thread about the SOTA issue ...

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...kinson-SOTA-TL

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by kaleb84 View Post
    I remember the chap who sold them to me had stacked them that way when I went to buy them - he must've posted a snap.
    He may well be a fan of The KLF too.

I'm Geoff.

Hi Kaleb. Welcome to AOS.

Join in the chat and get to know the members, I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you here.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread