+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tannoy speakers with SET valve amp 845 tube

I'm Peter.

I'd always recommend either big push-pull valve amps or Class A solid-state for the modern Tannoy dual-concentrics.
    Although the speakers are sensitive, they really come alive with amplifiers that have a decent wodge of current-driving capability, which is not the forte of SETs usually.
    Your Sugdens are probably a decent match already, but if you fancy something a little 'warmer', but still detailed, then have a listen to the Accuphase integrated amps, which are a class above the Sugdens ime.

I'm Ales.

Hello, thanks for recommendation. Can you suggest best model, still affordable from Accuphase, with warmer sound? Probably the A class model?
    A lot of good music through Tannoy Kensington GR speakers, Accuphase E-650 amp, Accuphase DP-400 CD player, turntable Technics SL 1200G with Grado Reference 2

I'm Peter.

Accuphase prices vary considerably from country to country.
    In the UK, new ones are rather pricey, so maybe look for a used E-600 if the E-650 is too much? €6K seems normal for a mint E-600.
    The phono-boards are very good btw. DAC board less so.
    Don't be put off by the 30W output ... these things are massively powerful, and are a known match for modern Tannoys.
    Best-built bit of kit I've ever owned.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12