+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tannoy speakers with SET valve amp 845 tube

I'm Ales.

Default Tannoy speakers with SET valve amp 845 tube

Hello,

has anybody experience with Tannoy Turnberry SE or similar and SET valve amp with 845 tube producing about 25W per channel and a lot of heat? It will be used in medium room about 200 sq.feet with medium sound level, for jazz and blues music. In winter it will replace also heater and candle lights!
    Thanks for sharing your experience.
    A lot of good music through Tannoy Kensington GR speakers, Accuphase E-650 amp, Accuphase DP-400 CD player, turntable Technics SL 1200G with Grado Reference 2

I'm openingabottleofwine.

HiFi Pig found good results were obtained using an 845 SET amplifier with the Turnberry speakers.

https://hifipig.com/tannoy-turnberry-se-loudspeakers/
    Barry

I'm Adam.

Contact David Coe (AD Audio on here)
    He used Canterbury SEs with master sounds 845 tube mono blocks.
    If my recollection serves me right ... good results but can be bettered with other amplification approach.
    Then again your drivers are 10’’ and the Canterbury is 15’’’
    So a comparison may not be applicable
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

I use a Bel Canto Set 40 845 valve power amp outputting 30 - 35 watts and it drive's my 15" K series drivers with no problems, my room is quite small though and probably half your room size.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Ales.

Thanks for your experience.
    A lot of good music through Tannoy Kensington GR speakers, Accuphase E-650 amp, Accuphase DP-400 CD player, turntable Technics SL 1200G with Grado Reference 2

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Contact David Coe (AD Audio on here)
    He used Canterbury SEs with master sounds 845 tube mono blocks.
    If my recollection serves me right ... good results but can be bettered with other amplification approach.
    Then again your drivers are 10’’ and the Canterbury is 15’’’
    So a comparison may not be applicable
    HI, yes the Mastersound PSE 50 watt monoblocks did not work well with the Tannoy Canterbury GRs but these were 15ins and had awfully heavy cones. I concluded they probably worked best with some massive solid state amps like the 1,000 watt monoblocks Tannoy reputedly use to test them. No direct experience of Turnberrys I'm afraid, but diffrent Tannoys react very differently to different amps. I tried Nord Class D amps with my Cants and the amp just damped hell out of them, but the same Nords sounded great with Westlower's 12ins Tannoys
    David

I'm Ales.

What type of amplification will be better than SET tube 845 amplifier for Tannoy Turnberry spekers? Radford STA 25, something else?

I'm Martin.

What are you looking for that the Sugden combo doesn't deliver?

Think if it was me I'd change the speakers rather than the amp. There's a lot of Tannoys that are better than the Turnberry, although there's nowt wrong with the Turnberry in itself.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jim.

Back when I had my Westminsters, I used an Almarro 318B. Not 845s, but single-ended and around 15w. Worked well. Better that the 300Bs I tried.

Jim.

I'm Grant.

i'd either change the amp or the amp lol.. speakers are 93db so should work with 25w in that room(as long as its not single ended), although a bit more oomph wouldnt hurt. 40w and up would be my guess.

there was a nice ss amp posted today.. quite valvy sound style im told.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast