+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clean/Polish Platter?

I'm Ken.

Default Clean/Polish Platter?

My platter has a fairly significant amount of oxidation/corrosion on what should be the shiny outer edge.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to clean and polish it to make it look better?
    Last edited by Grumpy Hermit; 07-01-2021 at 00:21.

I'm Pavel.

If you have a bench grinder, fit a polishing wheel to it and use green polishing compound first to clean up the rim and then blue compound to polish it to mirror finish.

I'm Steve.

Or Solvol Autosol and a rag. But then it'll probably mark every time you touch it, so if it really matters have it professionally polished and lacquered.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

Smurf Poo - bolpol Original Soft Blue honing Paste .. magic stuff on knives. i bet it will do similar on a platter...(shine wise)
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dennis.

I have the same with my Linn, living at the seaside. I just use a sanding block with a fine wet and dry paper, but dry, say from 600 upwards to whatever fine finish you want. Just stroke it round smoothly and circumferentially.

I'm Pavel.

After the platter is polished, you can use Renaissance Wax to protect it from oxidation. But you really should avoid touching it with your bare hands before applying the wax because the fingerprints will oxidate even under the protective layer.

I'm Mike.

This is the stuff you need, once shiny give the polished surface a coat of car wax and buff to a shine it will help to slow down re oxidization

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Jo.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    After the platter is polished, you can use Renaissance Wax to protect it from oxidation. But you really should avoid touching it with your bare hands before applying the wax because the fingerprints will oxidate even under the protective layer.
    + 1 for Renaissance Wax, I use it all the time on a wide variety of things. One £15 tin lasts an age too.

+ Reply to Thread