+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS: Royd Sorcerer SE Speakers

I'm Rich.

Default FS: Royd Sorcerer SE Speakers

Hi All

This is an extremely reluctant sale, but unfortunately i need to move on my beautiful and extremely rare Royd Sorcerer SE speakers.

It's no exaggeration to say that these are the best standmounts i have owned -*apart (maybe)*from Harbeth P3 ESRs and they a little more musical than the Harbs.

This pair has quite an interesting history, i purchased them on ebay 5 years ago from quite a grand house in a nice part of London, they were originally owned by a well know conductor (not sure who) When i picked them up, i was a bit confused as they didn't look like any of the stock pictures i could find - i contacted the owner who put me in touch with Grahams Hifi.*

I spoke to Graham's (they sold these to the original owner) and they had*the details of the sale, so the provenance is all good. The chap I spoke to explained the strange 'ports'' on the rear and reckoned that they must have been one of Joe's specials, he thought they are very rare and reckoned pretty valuable?*

Those ports are actually filled in with something very solid and covered in some speaker cloth. They sound absolutely wonderful, fast, lucid but very musical and to my ears* - are not fatiguing in any way. I love Royd speakers, but with some music they can grate a little - not with these. They have been stuck about an inch or so from the wall on brackets and just sing.

I have tried to gauge value and have drawn a blank, somebody tried to sell a standard pair on here a while ago and was asking north of £1K - which i think is way off the mark. They are incredibly rare and coupled with the fact that Joe seemed to have personally worked on them, even more so. They were at the top end of Royds range and use the Revelation drivers.

I'll start at £600 plus courier (i can arrange or you are welcome to) I'll have to find a sturdy box as they weigh an absolute tonne!

I'd be happy to consider an oldie but goodie CDP in PX, but i need to clear £500 - these are a reluctant sale and only to fund debt and a thousand January birthdays.

These really are very special speakers, super rare, but more importantly they*sound utterly stunning.

Cheers

Rich

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Royd. That takes me back. Didn't they make a cracking little floorstander called 'The Bishop' or something along those lines? I heard a pair at a Hi-Fi shop in Norwich (that has since disappeared); they were sublime!

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Lawrence.

There's the Minstrel, Squire, Doublet and Prior I can think of. Maybe you're thinking of the Prior with the ecclesiastical connection. (The Bishop reminds me of a Monty Python sketch )

Sorry to butt in but it's a free bump. GLWS!

I'm Steve.

Abotts too.
    The sorcerer is up there with the best of small speakers IMO. Small Royds boogie.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Abbotts - those were the ones I was thinking of!

I'm Rich.

SOLD

+ Reply to Thread