+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many watts?

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

With any class of amplfiier other than class A, power supplies, and their ability to deliver instant current at a sustained constant voltage becomes all important!
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Edward.

I find the online calculators useful to give a ballpark amp wattage required.

such as https://www.extron.com/calculators/a...wer/?tab=tools
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm BigBobJoylove.

8 watts then.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Mine was around 15 watts for 93db, with 6db headroom!
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    8 watts then.
    So 400 W into 4 Ω will be enough then?
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I think it should suffice.

I'm Dennis.

I used to run a 10W class A amp at just below clipping and get 103dB. I think that this factor is exaggerated in importance, but some headroom id needed.

If the speakers are a difficult load, for example one which produces such a difficult phasing of current that it becomes very high, current delivery is a factor. But this is a different consideration from having enough power to follow peaks.

I went in the 70s for an interview with Redifusion, Orpington, and they said that their headroom was running only 1dB higher than the program peaks.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky View Post
    Slight calculation error above: 95dB@1=89dB@2m=83dB@4m= 85.6dB@3m so max from a pair is 85.6+17.8+3=106.4dB. Even more reasons to look after your hearing.
    Oops! - my mistake . You are correct, a factor of 1/9 (= 1/32) correspond to -9.54dB.

Moral: avoid doing mental calculations after half a bottle of wine!
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I used to run a 10W class A amp at just below clipping and get 103dB. I think that this factor is exaggerated in importance, but some headroom id needed.

If the speakers are a difficult load, for example one which produces such a difficult phasing of current that it becomes very high, current delivery is a factor. But this is a different consideration from having enough power to follow peaks.

I went in the 70s for an interview with Redifusion, Orpington, and they said that their headroom was running only 1dB higher than the program peaks.
    I don't think it is exaggerated, although I have noticed that people don't seem to notice when their amp is clipping on peaks. I notice and when I had the cat, who would sit and listen with me, he would react to the clipping. I'd say 10-14 dB of headroom is needed for hi-fidelity.

I'd guess 1970s analogue TV sound was heavily compressed, back then you had one little elliptical speaker in a TV and about a 4 watt amp so it needed to be.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

I used that Nelson-Jones amp with Tannoy Gold Lancs, and had a PPM, so peaks were accurately measured, and the Quad 33's volume pot was at just over 8 1/3, if I went higher it got rough. So as long as clipping is avoided there is enough headroom.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast