+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi to all

I'm Paul.

Default Hi to all

Thank you for allowing me to join The Art of Sound, I look forward to being a part of the community.
    My name is Paul and I live in Switzerland near Lake Constance. I have been passionately listening to music for over 40 years, preferably rock, blues, electronica, classical, singer/songwriter and sometimes jazz. Actually, I love all kinds of music if done right.
    My system is:
    Loudspeaker: B+W DM70 (vintage 1969 - completely refurbished)
    Source: miniDSP SHD Studio with Dirac 3 room correction
    DA converter: Naim DAC with Teddy Cap XPS power supply
    Server: Apple Mac mini, audio playback with Audirvana (NAS and Tidal)
    Preamp: Naim NAC202 with Teddy Cap Plus Mk III
    Power amplifier: Naim NAP200
    CD player: Naim CDX2
    Room acoustics: Basotect ceiling, wall and corner absorbers
    Happy to be on this forum now!

I'm Geoff.

Hello Paul. Welcome to AOS.

You have some interesting speakers there, we do have members who are fans.

Feel free to join in any chat that interests you, there's plenty going on.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

Welcome to the forum!

Switzerland is my favourite country in the world. It's the only place I'd rather live than the UK. Having said that I did like Helsinki very much when I went there the other year.

I've always wondered how those B&Ws sound compared to the later hybrids like Martin Logans. They were very much ahead of their time and I switched my vintage "allegiance" from Kef to B&W when I bought my first pair of DM2s about 10 years ago. I've also always wanted to hear a working pair of their P2 Ionofane speakers.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 05-01-2021 at 22:42.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Paul.

Yes, the B&W DM70s (rather than the DM70 Continental) have always interested me. An interesting design, not without its difficulties in integrating a dipole electrostatic tweeter with a cardioid bass enclosure. They look delightfully '60s retro, and I would love to hear some.

Like Lawrence, my connection with B&W is with my DM2As used in my second system.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Paul.

Thank you for your warm welcome!
    I bought the well-preserved B&W DM70 Continental speakers (production year 1969) 5 years ago from the original owner. I am totally thrilled and seriously ask myself what progress has been made in the development of loudspeakers in the last 50 years?

Over the course of a year I have restored them, or rather had them restored: Bass surrounds, electrostatic foils, electronics, crossover. I also had them painted with white piano lacquer.

They are not particularly well suited for very loud, dynamic and complex rock music. I wouldn't use them as a party speaker either, and they're really too bad for that.
    But for everything else, holy crap on a cracker! Spatiality, treble, bass. And the reproduction of voices, female voices, phenomenal! The ability to reproduce music seamlessly and coherently is priceless. The best speakers I have ever owned!
    About a year ago I bought a subwoofer. The B&W DM70/Velodyne SPL 1200 Ultra combination now plays down to 16 Hz. I am very impressed!
    Paul
    Last edited by fandango!; 16-01-2021 at 06:59.

I'm Paul.

I'm neil.

Very nice system you have there
    I wish I could manage to be that tidy - no matter how hard I try.....I’m gonna have another go

+ Reply to Thread