+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Celestion SL Speaker Surround Replacement

I'm Marcus.

Default Celestion SL Speaker Surround Replacement

I have decided to exchange the rubber surrounds cause of cracks. I ordered some rubber foams that should fit the cone. My problem is to remove the surround from the cone cause the glue is very strong there. The cone seems to be polypropylene.

Any advice?

Thank you and happy new year.

I'm Dennis.

This has just come up on DIY audio, and the answer was to not use solvents due to risk to the cones, so it has to be very careful cutting, parting and slightly abrasive methods.

I'm Geoff.

Aftermarket foam cone surrounds are not generally good quality, tending to go brittle and falling apart in a short time. Not to mention being unsuitable in this case, as the originals were synthetic rubber.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

Does "rubber foams" mean rubber surrounds or foam surrounds?

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Does "rubber foams" mean rubber surrounds or foam surrounds?
    Depends on who is doing the describing. If it's a Chinese seller, it could mean anything, they may not even know what they are for!

In my book, 'rubber surrounds' should mean non-foam rubber and 'foam', exactly that.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Marcus.

Sorry I meant rubber surround.
    I talked to this guy after various discussions with guys who do this professional but couldn't offer a suitable surround. So I ordered the same, cause
    I think he did a good job. He gave me the advise to cut the old surround away from the cone, very carefully.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Celestion-SP....m46890.l49292
    Last edited by Maggusch; 03-01-2021 at 13:55.

I'm Adam.

Gentle use of a hot air gun can be also be helpful in softening the old glue but don’t go wild with it or you’ll melt stuff!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread