+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Okto Research DAC8 Stereo - Streamer

I'm Ken.

Default Okto Research DAC8 Stereo - Streamer

This is my latest acquisition and its a cracker.

Apologies for just copying this from my blog, it saved re typing.

This is my Okto DAC8 Stereo - Streamer.
    It's a high Quality DAC with a built in Raspberry Pi 4B for streaming.
    I had a Topping D90 prior to this, a very good DAC in its own right, both in terms of measurements and in its subjective sound quality. I used this with a stand alone RPi4B to great effect, so why change?

The Okto measures slightly better and the built in RPi/PSU makes for fewer boxes on the shelf. It has a large clear display, nice styling and importantly for me, a customer specified output option.
    Most modern DAC's have a full scale output of 4 to 4.5v RMS (balanced) and use a digital volume control, to act more like a digital Pre Amp. This is fine if your sources are only digital, but leads to a big imbalance in output if you also have analogue sources, like a Turntable/Phono Stage, working at line level. So I specified 2v RMS balanced output for my unit. I set the digital volume control to maximum, bypassing it and the display shows 0dB. This level of output is a much better match for my Balanced Phono stage. Not withstanding variations in track levels, my digital and analogue sources now give approximately the same output level. The volume is controlled by my Pre Amp.
    Sound wise, there is not much in it, the Okto/Topping both give excellent levels of detail, good bass depth and a very Black background. In my set up, the Okto just noses ahead, it's a very slightly smoother/softer sound, so is a bit more forgiving of bright, or harsh recordings. It's a very easy listen, sounding totally effortless, it just disappears.

The Okto Streaming version comes with a RPi4B, having 1or 2GB of RAM, depending on availability at the time of build.
    The stand alone RPi I had been using with the Topping has 4GB of RAM and I had installed heat sinks on this unit, so I installed this into the Okto.

The top image is the standard RPi 4B and the lower one is after I applied the heat sinks.
    I don't think the self adhesive foam strips, that are used on many of these heat sinks, gives a very efficient heat transfer, so I glued them in place, using a thermally conductive adhesive, designed specifically for gluing heat sinks together. It has a high adhesion level, good thermal conductivity and a working temperature of 180 deg C.

The Streaming function of the DAC is meant to be used "Headless" so no monitor/mouse etc. The unit is used as part of your home network and accessed via any networked device with a browser, so using your Phone or Tablet etc.
    There is a big downside to this, if you take your unit to a hifi meeting or someone else's house, it won't function, as the network is not available. Even if you plug a USB stick of music into the unit, you can't play it, as the Headless operation requires the network to be in place. I also like to display my music library on my large screen TV via the RPi HDMI output and control it using a wifi "Air Mouse". I think its a mistake not to have exported the RPi's HDMI output to the rear panel of the unit, were you could easily plug in a monitor.

So, how do I modify my unit, to access the HDMI output?
    The RPi4B uses Micro HDMI connectors, most monitors/TV's use full size HDMI.
    There are not many Micro to HDMI adaptor leads around, even fewer, short enough for this application and I couldn't find a single one for panel mounting at the right length.
    So I had to make one.

This is what I made. I took a 150mm long Micro HDMI male to HDMI male connector lead and cast a block of JB Weld, a filled epoxy, around the HDMI connector body. I drilled and tapped it M3. The flexible jacket on the connector had a moulded groove around it, which I enlarged with a hot soldering iron. The JB weld flowed into this groove, making a robust fixing.

This is the connector in position.

I centred the new sockets position with the RPi's USB2 sockets and used CSK screws so as not to foul the Streamers USB output/input jumper strap.
    I removed the back panel to make the cut out and screw holes. There are lots of screws to remove, the mains leads, and earth wires can be unscrewed, but you have to de-solder the 12v trigger wires from the back of the socket. There is plenty of access room to do this and I re-applied some heat shrink to the re-soldered joints, so it looks good as new.

I now have my NAS library displayed on my TV via the MoOde music player software I installed on the RPi.

There are measurements/reviews of these excellent Okto and Topping DAC's over at the ASR forum.

I'm Mike.

That's excellent, looks great and I bet it sounds good too

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    That's excellent, looks great and I bet it sounds good too
    It does Mike, absolutely stunning sound.

I'm Mike.

I use Moode on my Pi system to the main HiFi and I'd like to try a standalone DAC, but this look even more useful to me as I run Logitech Media Server to Squeezelite on Moode to access the streaming services I use.

I'm waiting on an R2R DAC Hat arriving to try on the Pi and see if I like that.

BUT I've also been looking at decent dedicated streamers too

I'm Ken.

Based on your previous recommendation Mike, I also now use MoOde/Squeezelite and LMS to access Qobuz.
    I have MoOde/LMS installed on the single internal RPi4B in the Okto DAC/Streamer.

I will be selling my Topping D90 shortly.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Based on your previous recommendation Mike, I also now use MoOde/Squeezelite and LMS to access Qobuz.
    I have MoOde/LMS installed on the single internal RPi4B in the Okto DAC/Streamer.

I will be selling my Topping D90 shortly.
    Used Moode for years now and light recently started using LMS properly and it gives me everything I want.

I'm Ken.

Yeh, me to Mike, though I do prefer the sound of MoOde's MPD player to Squeezelite.

I just balked at Volumio wanting money to access Qobuz, that in effect, made qobuz 50% more expensive for the basic package.

I like the way MoOde auto mounts any USB music stick you plug in to the RPi.
    Means you can run demos at HiFi meets without an internet link or network set up.

I'm Mike.

I like Moode, it's been my favourite since I started using the Pi, donated a few times too as I think it's well worth it.

I'm Ken.

I just downloaded MoOde 7.0.1
    Will be flashing a copy of this when a new SD Card arrives.

I've also been experimenting on my current set up, with the BubbleUPnP App on my Android Phone. I can access Qobuz using this, with MoOde set as the renderer.
    Had to switch on MoOdeUPnP in its config menu, but that was all, didn't even need BubbleUPnP Server installed on the network.

I'm Gary.

This looks fascinating as a Roon Endpoint.
    Colour me interested!

Any way Ken a PS Audio comparable i2s output can be introduced to the mix?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast