+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Okto Research DAC8 Stereo - Streamer

I'm Ken.

Thanks for the Stereophile link Rob, I hadn't seen that review.

I'm Didier.

Wherever I read, 4 ou 5 months are frequent. Only 2 units are currently for sale 2ndhand, one in UE and the other in the USA. It seems to be the only way to get one on a sensible time limit.

I'm Didier.

Finally, the seller has just let me down. So I will take a totally different direction for now and buy a Cocktail Audio X50D and a "small R2R dac" instead. Probalby a discounted Ares 2.

I'm Didier.

Hi Qwin,

I've finally found a 2nd hand Dac8 Stereo. I'll use it with Heed PM Blocks which are only fitted with RCAs. What's the rest of your set ? Are you facing the same issue? How did you eventually fix it?

I'm Ken.

Hi Didier
    You were lucky to find a used unit, well done.
    I have a Freya+ Pre Amp, which has two sets of balanced inputs.
    The Okto plugs into one set and my Aqvox Balanced Phono stage plugs into the other set.
    The Freya+ has one set of balanced and two sets of RCA single ended outputs, all live simultaneously.
    I feed the Balanced outputs into a Marchand active x-over (LP 500Hz) and on to a Nord Class D two channel Amp, which services my bass drivers (Full balanced path).
    I use one of the single ended sets of outputs on the Freya+ to directly supply a PrimaLuna PL4 Tube Stereo Power amp. This is connected to Troels Grevesen based passive crossovers in my speaker cabinets and supplies my Mids and Twts. This is a completely single ended path, but I swapped out the RCA sockets on both the Freya and the PrimaLuna for XLR connectors, its still Single ended, but now with a separate shield connection. I hate RCA's, my changes mean all my interconnect leads are the same type and interchangeable, regardless of being either balanced or single ended.

This is my set up:

If you want to see what I did to the Amps etc, find it all here on the bottom row of thumbnails: https://www.jkwynn.co.uk//Projects.html

Ken

I'm Rob.

That's a good find - I don't think they appear 2nb hand very often.
    Rob.