+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Courier advice

I'm gerald.

Default Courier advice

Any recommendations to send a turntanle and a reel to reel please

I'm Keith.

Whichever courier you choose, pack the items really REALLY well! So well that its contents can survive a drop from say, the back of a van onto a concrete slab.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Alternatively deliver the items (if possible) and ask the same as the courier charges to cover your fuel. Much safer!

When I post MacBooks, they go wrapped in bubble wrap in a box that's two feet deep. Take no chances; couriers don't care as they're generally paid on the quantity delivered rather than how well delivered the packages are.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Mike.

Remember to put a spacer between platter and base of TT, so bearing doesn't get damaged.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Martin.

Take the platter off completely and wrap it separately.

If it can't survive a 6 foot drop onto concrete it isn't well packed enough. The packing is far more important than which courier you use.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

I sense a gap in the cardboard boxes market for hifi boxes............A box within a box...
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Martin.

Bubble wrap is the key. Mummify it in the stuff, then double box with a tightly packed 'crumple zone' between the inner and outer boxes, and make sure the item is packed tight so it can't move at all.

The worst thing that can happen to your package aside from malicious damage is it gets thrown out of the back of a van onto concrete or tarmac. If it can survive that then it will get through unscathed. I always pack with that worst-case in mind.

Having said that I once bought a CD player off ebay and it came in one box with just a couple of handfuls of polystyrene chips thrown in. It could slide around inside freely in all dimensions . Beyond a joke but it was still in working order and without any dings or scratches. From a so-called 'professional seller' too.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dan.

As some have mentioned, bubble wrap tightly. You don't want any movement inside the box. Think inertia.
    I can't stress this point enough - DON'T USE STYROFOAM PEANUTS!
    Remove the platter and wrap separately (plug the bearing well with something lint free. Also remove the arms counterweight and wrap separately. I once had a customer's arm snap off the stub that supports the weight. A one piece molded assembly. He had to buy a new arm.
    Double box if possible with packing in between the two boxes.
    Lock down the suspension if possible.

For the reel to reel, almost all applies. Remove any reels, or easily damaged parts, and wrap separately.

While others may disagree - Don't use UPS. I have several horror stories with these people. Some of them quite impressive in their destruction.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    As some have mentioned, bubble wrap tightly. You don't want any movement inside the box. Think inertia.
    I can't stress this point enough - DON'T USE STYROFOAM PEANUTS!
    Remove the platter and wrap separately (plug the bearing well with something lint free. Also remove the arms counterweight and wrap separately. I once had a customer's arm snap off the stub that supports the weight. A one piece molded assembly. He had to buy a new arm.
    Double box if possible with packing in between the two boxes.
    Lock down the suspension if possible.

For the reel to reel, almost all applies. Remove any reels, or easily damaged parts, and wrap separately.

While others may disagree - Don't use UPS. I have several horror stories with these people. Some of them quite impressive in their destruction.
    Also,
    Double box if possible, I work for Royal Mail and in the main things get damaged because of truly awful packaging,
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Double boxing is in the text you quoted.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast