+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Courier advice

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Double boxing is in the text you quoted.
    so it is
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Also,
    Double box if possible, I work for Royal Mail and in the main things get damaged because of truly awful packaging,
    I thought things got damaged as they were used in a game of rugby?
    I have no criticism of Royal Mail by the way, but have had some truly horrendous experiences with couriers delivering parcels.

Look at this beauty. Packaged reasonably, double boxed but not really good enough. Outer Box almost completely destroyed, delivered open. I was not there to take receipt of it, otherwise I would have said "no".
    135019760_10158907468026397_2918729945803592230_o.jpg

Trust a courier?

You are having a laugh....

Recommend a courier? For me I have had almost no problems with UPS, either sending or receiving.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I thought things got damaged as they were used in a game of rugby?
    I have no criticism of Royal Mail by the way, but have had some truly horrendous experiences with couriers delivering parcels.

Look at this beauty. Packaged reasonably, double boxed but not really good enough. Outer Box almost completely destroyed, delivered open. I was not there to take receipt of it, otherwise I would have said "no".
    135019760_10158907468026397_2918729945803592230_o.jpg

Trust a courier?

You are having a laugh....

Recommend a courier? For me I have had almost no problems with UPS, either sending or receiving.
    Definitely not saying royal mail are perfect,I can only speak for the depot I work at and the days of throwing stuff around are long gone, no rugby! On my delivery I regularly find parcels left outside and I have to take pics of them because people always blame the postie , I'd be sacked for doing that
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Dan.

For me I have had almost no problems with UPS, either sending or receiving.
    Story no. 1
    Years ago the distributor of Audio Aero in Canada sent a power amp to Las Vegas for the CES audio show via UPS Freight
    The amp was boxed, and strapped to a pallet. When the distributor got to Vegas to set up, he saw the poor amplifier.
    UPS had used a fork lift and drove one of the forks through box (not the pallet space) knocking one output transformer and the power transformer right off the chassis. Bent the chassis, destroyed the transformers, and effectively scrapped a $10,000 amplifier. Damage was traced back to the UPS depot in Las Vegas. It two years of law suits to get it cleared up.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I sense a gap in the cardboard boxes market for hifi boxes............A box within a box...
    That already exists sir, also most makers of high end stuff have 3 boxes nowadays.

My advice is buy some double wall boxes and put 1 inside the other, the boxes need to be 3 times bigger than the item inside, pack with bubble wrap or packing peanuts.

Out of all the couriers this is my experience based on 20 years of courier use and 1500-2000+ packages sent out each month.

1. Fedex
    2. UPS
    3. DHL
    4. DPD Local

Everyone has a tale to tell about couriers but its based on very low usage, ours isn't.
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Gareth.

As above, thorough packaging is the key. Some of the more expensive items I’ve sold in the past have taken me an hour or more to pack. Then once packed get a quote from these guys;

https://www.overlandexpress.co.uk/co...hifi-equipment

I’ve used them on a number of occasions and all without any issues.

EDIT: For items <2kgs and for pricer items (in excess of £1000) <10kgs I use Royal Mail Special Delivery. Next-day fully insured and it’s treated as an entirely separate channel from the 1st class/2nd class/Parcelforce post.

I'm Adam.

I still use UPS as a first choice as I’ve never had a single problem with them, and NEVER Parcelfarce.

Oh, and bubble wrap is a gift from the gods but do remember one important thing - bubbles must go on the outside and NEVER against the equipment. It can leave small circular marks that are a bugger to shift, especially on dust covers.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Martin.

I always use Parcelforce as the post office is only a short walk away, never had an issue in ten years, not even a late delivery. Last thing I sent was an amp just before Xmas on the 48hr service, was delivered in under 24 hours.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by The Vinyl Adventure View Post
    That already exists sir, also most makers of high end stuff have 3 boxes nowadays.

My advice is buy some double wall boxes and put 1 inside the other, the boxes need to be 3 times bigger than the item inside, pack with bubble wrap or packing peanuts.

Out of all the couriers this is my experience based on 20 years of courier use and 1500-2000+ packages sent out each month.

1. Fedex
    2. UPS
    3. DHL
    4. DPD Local

Everyone has a tale to tell about couriers but its based on very low usage, ours isn't.
    Can they be bought by consumers or just trade? If you have a link to some for sale that would be good thanks. Is your list ascending or descending order!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Geoff.

When you buy bubble wrap, does it arrive wrapped in bubble wrap?

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast