+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Budget high compliance cart for SME 3009s2 improved?

I'm Sandy.

Sorry to hijack this, I'm new to the 3009, have the removable SME head shell S2 Improved as well, and am using a Goldring 2022GX as it came out to be within compliance/mass calcs. My issue is mounting the cart against the finger pickup mounting bar underneath the head- doesn't seem to be much contact area unlike perfectly flat shells I've used before. Is this correct?

I'm Pavel.

Quote Originally Posted by kirstysdad View Post
    Sorry to hijack this, I'm new to the 3009, have the removable SME head shell S2 Improved as well, and am using a Goldring 2022GX as it came out to be within compliance/mass calcs. My issue is mounting the cart against the finger pickup mounting bar underneath the head- doesn't seem to be much contact area unlike perfectly flat shells I've used before. Is this correct?
    Yes, the stock SME headshell is horrible.

I'm Neds.

No problem. I just checked my SME headshell. It’s not contemporary- I think it’s from the early noughties and the lift is bolted onto the side. I seem to remember someone saying that if you’ve got the other version, just take the finger lift off! They seem to be stupidly expensive now. Mine was from a friend in the trade- a customer ordered it and never collected it

I'm Neds.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovel_Knight View Post
    Yes, the stock SME headshell is horrible.
    Sorry, Mail crossover. I’ve never heard anyone call that headshell “horrible”! I must admit, when I saw how much a new boxed one was going for, I almost sold it to buy a cartridge, but then I decided to keep the arm as close to original as possible. I don’t know when the finger lift fixing was moved to the side, but no doubt someone out there does! I also use an old Rega headshell, but that also has a side mount lift?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yes it is correct; at the time when the 3009 was designed such concerns about the contact area were not considered, or even if they were, were regarded as being quite unimportant. As long as the screw fixings are fastened firmly (but not over tight) you shouldn't experience any problems.

However you could try packing the gap between the top of the cartridge and the underside of the headshell with some BluTak, which some users find effective.
    Barry

I'm Pavel.

Well, I do not like it because it is not rigid, the fingerlift arrangement is dubious at best, and the pins on some versions of the headshell are very prone to oxidation. When I got my 3012, I couldn't understand why my cartridge sounded rather muffled, when I tested continuity I got ~8 Ohms between the cartridge tags and the RCA plugs! I replaced the headshell with a Jelco one and got less than 0.1 Ohm. Cleaning the pins with emery paper solves the problem but the procedure has to be repeated every now and then. I decided to keep the headshell only because it's the desirable "raised logo" version which is likely to raise the resale value of the tonearm.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The later S2 headshells (with the 'flat' name badge) had gold plated contact pips and gold plated cartridge lead tags, an improvement over those of the 'raised' badge headshell.

The best SME headshell is the S2-R: made of heavier gauge aluminium, and having the finger lift attached separately on the side, presents a flat mounting surface for the cartridge. There was also an unperforated version available.

Otherwise, most of the Fidelity Research headshells are eminently suitable
    Barry

I'm Pavel.

Even with gold plating, I have no idea why would anyone want an SME headshell except for the name. The good old Technics headshell is made of cast magnesium, weighs just 1g more, is more rigid, has gold-plated pins and you can buy 4 of them for the price of one SME headshell. Even the the length of the headshell is perfect for SME tonearms...

ADC LMG-1 is another excellent alternative - much better than the stock shell!

I'm Sandy.

Thanks gents, thought it was just me- I was scared of being a heretic! Horrible, horrible headshell indeed. Any particular technics 'shell? They seem to do several. Ironically I have thrown away several in the past, along with my alignment gauges and collection of cart bolts and nuts.

I'm Neds.

Yup,it’s the S2-R that I’ve got. I can’t say that the Rega shell, which I think is probably from an RB 200, seems any different. I mean, I haven’t weighed it in comparison or anything! Head shells do seem quite pricey, even used, but I’ll look out for the others mentioned.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast