+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Budget high compliance cart for SME 3009s2 improved?

I'm Neds.

Default Budget high compliance cart for SME 3009s2 improved?

As above. Posted this on the Wam a few months ago. There seems to be very limited choice for this particular version of the 3009. I originally had an AT 110e on it, which I seem to remember working fine, until I bent the cantilever. I wondered if the new AT 95 VM range would work? Or indeed, any other modern carts? It’s got a Pickering V15 on it at the moment, but with a stylus of unknown age/ hours. It plays ok, but can be sibilant, which suggests some wear

I'm Pavel.

Hi Neds, is your tonearm S2 improved (with detachable headshell) or Series II Improved (non-detachable headshell)? The former's effective mass is 9.5g which makes it compatible with many of today's cartridges including AT-VM95, Ortofon 2M series etc.

I'm Neds.

It's the detachable headshell version, which I think means it's the lightest?

I'm Pavel.

I don't think so, the headshell socket adds quite a bit of mass. The non-detachable version is 6.5g — now THAT is problematic. S2 Improved (9.5g) is fine with many of today's cartridges including even some MCs (e.g. Goldring Eroica).

I'm Neds.

You've opened up my world! The gist from elsewhere on the web was that a high compliance cartridge would be best, which aren't manufactured in such great numbers/ varieties. The Pickering sounded good when I was using the Audiolab as an integrated, but when I used it as a phono preamp, coming out of the tape sockets, it sounded very muffled?

I'm Grant.

not had an issue using carts with the sme 2 imp. just add extra weight to the back weight. itll do 2 grams or so tracking easily too. ive used loads of carts with mine, when i had one.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Pavel is correct. Your SME is the 3009 Series II (Improved) S2, with a detachable headshell. Assuming you will use the arm with the SME headshell the effective mass is 9.5g.

It is not possible to quote a preferred cartridge compliance to suit the arm, as you need to take the mass of the cartridge into account as well. Without actually suggesting a particular cartridge, ideally any cartridge that satisfies the following will be OK:

175 < MC < 400

where M is the total mass in gram (= effective mass of the arm (9.5g for your arm) + mass of the cartridge + mass of fixings (say 0.5g)) and C is the compliance (in compliance units (e.g. 6.5 for the Audio Technica AT95)).

Information for other cartridges can be found on the vinylengine.com cartridge database.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

I use an SME Series III which is lighter than your arm and it has worked well with Ortofon 2M series and the latest AT VM95 ML. The AT's are a real bargain and suprised me how good they sound.
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm Neds.

This is all very useful. I can’t understand how I was sent down a high compliance blind alley! All the carts that you’re now talking about are the ones that I was considering before that distraction. Thanks all and a Happier New Year 😉

I'm Geoff.

There's nothing to stop you adding a bit of mass to the headshell if it helps. Suitable weights are available.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast