+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Project rpm 5.1 help

I'm Steve.

Default Project rpm 5.1 help

Ive a project rpm 5.1 carbon (i think!), it doesn't get huge amounts of use but often when I come to it, one channel won't work. If I lift and drop the needle a few times it comes on. When I bought it, I was told it was a new ortofon 510 cartridge and was all set up. Something just doesn't seem right and I'd like to have a go at checking the set up. Any tips on where to start and what to look at first?
    Any help greatly appreciated.

I'm Geoff.

Check the cartridge tags are on the cartridge firmly and check all phono lead connections are sound.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Ive checked the phono leads...I darent touch the cart conns without a bit of guidance!

I'm Geoff.

You just need narrow ended tweezer to gently tug the cartridge tags. If they don't pull off they're probably OK. Keep well clear of the stylus.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Take the stylus off before messing with the cartridge leads if your at all unsure and you should be safe Bourney. The Ortofon is Mm so has a removable stylus.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Tony.

Take great care, the cartridge wires on Pro-ject tonearms break all too easily. I always grip the black insulation with a tweezers as close to the tags as possible.

I'm Martin.

I always use a jewellers flat head screwdriver to remove tags, there's almost always a gap between the front edge of the cartridge tag and the base of the cartridge connector pins, enough to use the edge of the screwdriver to push the tags off. Much safer, absolutely no danger of accidentally pulling on anything - not that we're talking about fully removing the tags here. but a gentle push will tell you if a tag is loose as it'll slide off with no resistance. And if that does prove to be the case, tightening up tags is a whole other ball game..........
    Source components: S.A.M. Renegade turntable; S.A.M. Callista tonearm, Dynavector DV20x2L cartridge; Jelco SA370H tonearm, Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood / Audio Technica VM750SH / Grado Prestige Blue3 / Garratt P77i cartridges

Amplification: Primare i22

Loudspeakers: RMB 12/3s

Other hi-fi bits: Sutherland Ph3D phonostage; Pro-ject Phonobox S2 phonostage

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grey Grump View Post
    I always use a jewellers flat head screwdriver to remove tags, there's almost always a gap between the front edge of the cartridge tag and the base of the cartridge connector pins, enough to use the edge of the screwdriver to push the tags off. Much safer, absolutely no danger of accidentally pulling on anything - not that we're talking about fully removing the tags here. but a gentle push will tell you if a tag is loose as it'll slide off with no resistance. And if that does prove to be the case, tightening up tags is a whole other ball game..........
    That is what I do. If the cartridge tag is too loose, they can be tightened in situ using needle-nosed pliers.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread