+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Ariston RD11 with SME 3009 arm

I'm Lawrence.

Default FS: Ariston RD11 with SME 3009 arm

This has been a difficult decision for me, having enjoyed it for 10 years, but as I only use it occasionally these days I think it would be better with someone who will use it more often. It's quite an early model (ie. the best one!), but not the really early one with twin buttons. I believe it's basically the same as an early Linn LP12 in terms of parts and build.

It runs well and is in overall very good condition for it's age. There are a few minor issues of note (please see photos to see what I mean if it's not clear).

-The power switch has a bit of the red plastic missing on the bottom, you can't see this when the power is on.
    -The lid rest is missing, I prop the lid against the back wall when changing the record so it doesn't bother me.
    -There are a few rust spots on the black bit at the bottom of the arm lift and a couple of the black grub screws.
    -There might be a screw missing on the arm, I only noticed it now and I don't think it effects the use.

In spite of all the above it sounds beautiful. I want to keep the Ortofon cart for my next TT (which will probably be a cheaper lower maintenance one to reflect the lack of use) so it will come without one.

I'm not sure which model of 3009 it is, but the headshell is fixed. Many of these early ones have a 33/45 speed adaptor built in which is handy.

I'm happy to answer any questions (non price related!) in the thread for transparency.

In light of the above I'm asking a very fair (I think) £450 collection only from the Durham area.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 29-12-2020 at 17:40.

I'm Lawrence.

Some photos of the condition...

Last edited by Lawrence001; 28-12-2020 at 17:19.

I'm Alan.

I've seen this tt on a few occasions...it's photographs don't do it justice...it's much nicer in the flesh...
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    I've seen this tt on a few occasions...it's photographs don't do it justice...it's much nicer in the flesh...
    Thanks Alan I do tend to focus on the flaws but then I'd rather the buyer didn't have any surprises (on the downside).

I'm Mike.

A very nice deck and you're right it does share many parts with the early LP12, in fact Linn copied the Ariston design, the arm looks like the series 2 improved btw.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    A very nice deck and you're right it does share many parts with the early LP12, in fact Linn copied the Ariston design, the arm looks like the series 2 improved btw.
    I would venture to say Linn stole the design from Ariston (or rather Hamish Robertson). Linn was set up to market the Ariston after Hamish Robertson left the company. There were disputes over patents, which were ultimately awarded to Linn.

You are correct, the arm is one of the later versions of the fixed headshell SME 3009 (Improved) design, where the nylon knife edge bearing block is integrated with the arm lift/lower platform.

It's a very good combination and the asking price is very reasonable. GLWS Lawrence.
    Barry

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks Barry I read all about that a sad story indeed, these early Aristons are a piece of audio history

Lots of information (and debate) on this thread:

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-lp-12.741974/

I'm Mark.

I had an RD11 Supérieure back in the '80s - was a great TT.
    Used to love watching the wobble/shudder as the platter came to rest fighting the permanent magnets of the DC motor!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Have to say I've never noticed any wobbling or shuddering on this one

I'm Lawrence.

This is available for (socially distanced) collection from Durham at the weekend if anyone is interested. I'll take £395 if that helps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast