+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AR 101 Turntable

I'm gerald.

Default AR 101 Turntable

Anyone used one of these turntables
    Good and bad points and what would be a fair price to pay for one

I'm guy.

Going back over thirty years, a mate bought one and it was a pig for being sensitive to footfall - even in a carpeted room it bounced all over the place if you moved around. I would say that a wall mounted shelf was vital.
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Martin.

I'm guessing you're talking about the AR EB101 - if so, I had one of these for a few years, I found it to be a perfectly competent performer, I think I paid £100 for mine off 'the auction site', though as I say this was about eight years ago. The arm is a rebadged entry level Jelco IIRC, seemed to work well with mid-level AT cartridges, so should be fine with most mainstream carts. All in all definitely a TT that can be made to sound good - usual stuff to check e.g. tonearm bearings - hold the tonearm in your fingers and very gently pull / push horizontally, and very gently try and roll it between your fingers - there should be no play in any direction. You can also adjust the counterweight so the arm 'floats', turn antiskate to '0' and gently blow on the tonearm from outside in towards the centre of the platter, then again in the opposite direction, the arm should glide effortlessly in both directions. Once done turn antiskate back on, the arm should very slowly move in towards the spindle, this means antiskate is working OK. Check platter spindle/bearing (just spin the platter with the belt off, it should spin silently for a couple of minutes), and check for motor noise. It's a suspended table so check this by gently pushing down on the centre of the platter - it should depress evenly, and 'bounce' evenly. Basically if it's fundamentally sound then a bit of lube and a new belt and it should be a very solid performer.
    Source components: S.A.M. Renegade turntable; S.A.M. Callista tonearm, Dynavector DV20x2L cartridge; Jelco SA370H tonearm, Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood / Audio Technica VM750SH / Grado Prestige Blue3 / Garratt P77i cartridges

Amplification: Primare i22

Loudspeakers: RMB 12/3s

Other hi-fi bits: Sutherland Ph3D phonostage; Pro-ject Phonobox S2 phonostage

I'm Jason.

A friend has an EB101. Good little TT, not quite on a par with the AR Legend but nearly. As someone said it will be sensitive to footfall if you're on a suspended floor. I'd expect them to be around the £200 mark if in good knick and cosmetically OK...
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grey Grump View Post
    Once done turn antiskate back on, the arm should very slowly move in towards the spindle, this means antiskate is working OK..
    If it does this, then there’s a big problem as the anti-skate should make a floating arm move outwards, not inwards!

As to the EB101, I’ve always thought it was a bit of an unsung hero and a very fine performer.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    If it does this, then there’s a big problem as the anti-skate should make a floating arm move outwards, not inwards!

As to the EB101, I’ve always thought it was a bit of an unsung hero and a very fine performer.
    Sounds like he's got the rarer "pro-skate" made for the southern hemisphere markets.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 20-01-2021 at 11:52.

I'm Don.

Had one, looked cool, but flimsy, no weight, wobbled more than the Mrs. chest, no match for a GL75...lobbed it on ebay, job done!

I'm Phil.

Had the AR 'The Turntable'...great piece of gear, although new belts that actually fit are a bit of a bastard to get hold of.

Had an Ortofon 2M Blue on it with a Slee phonostage...wonderful sound.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Sounds like he's got the rarer "pro-skate" made for the southern hemisphere markets.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk
    You're absolutely right, I was talking about the RA BE-010 model.............

+ Reply to Thread