Thread: Extron gain clone

I'm Steve.

How much would they be new?

I'm Pavel.

Hundreds of euro/pounds.

I'm Steve.

Hmmm interesting.

I'm Mike.

The one in this thread is EOL so they don't actually make them anymore, but Extron do make a range of amps, pre amps and switchers for the pro install market, Pavel is right in that these products are in the low hundreds of £ bracket. Reading this thread i'm kicking myself as the amount of old Extron gear that i've scrapped when doing system upgrades and refreshes, Extron has that bomb proof reputation it just runs and runs especially the simpler stuff that you guys are looking at and as i've said i used to just scrap anything we would take out we had so much old gear in the warehouse that we'd kept in the past we had nowhere to put it.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Jeremy.

Started listening.

I had to do a mod to the back to make it competitive with anything else I listen to (very easy, just snip out middle metal pieces between all the RCA inputs, this reduces injected RF). Bass is a little bit much at times but it does sound nice with modern music that way. Midrange is very easy to understand. It's a good little amp, for the money and less than an hour with a couple hand tools it's better than most people's expensive amplifiers.

Resolution isn't the best.
    Last edited by Folsom; 13-01-2021 at 22:15.

I'm Martin.

Hi Jeremy, any chance you could post a photo of the metal cutting ? Don't want to ruin mine by guessing what to cut ��
    Thanks mart.

I'm Jeremy.

Quote Originally Posted by Metlor View Post
    Hi Jeremy, any chance you could post a photo of the metal cutting ? Don't want to ruin mine by guessing what to cut ��
    Thanks mart.
    Sure thing.

I'm going to try this amp on a fullrange speaker set I have because they're a bit thin and lower bass to begin with, and this amp is the opposite of that to the point of being possibly too much. It might make a really nice pairing.

I'm Martin.

Thanks Jeremy, I wouldn't know why that would make a difference, does it isolate the -ve side of the rca's.

Same here with the amps, I plan to run the bass drivers of an open baffle set, I expect they will work very well.
    ��

I'm Jeremy.

It prevents an electrical turn. You may need to do a fair bit of reading to understand that. And yes it's basically because the ground side of the RCA's come together within the amp, but have an electrical split when entering the amplifier. You won't be disappointed if you mod it like this. It takes a few minutes with a screw driver with a few smaller tips, and a mini crescent/plier or nut driver for the VGA stand offs. Then a pair of side cutters can remove those pieces with no effort at all. You could almost do it with scissors.

I'm Jeremy.

Well it's not bass-ey enough to replace a BSC filter like I think 100%.

Also the RCA inputs may not have been used, it takes a few hours to burn in, sound improves. This became an amp for some single driver speakers for my TV for now. The TV has an EQ for some BSC. We'll see if I keep it all like that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast