+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caiman SEG - Any way to remove the click on bitrate change?

I'm Giovanni.

It's not a matter of price, nowadays even your water flush system has an end user upgradable firmware, no big deal if I know I can take off the chip, install a new one and solve the problem, I simply find that to have to send it back or to have to change the chip oneself is anachronistic to say the least but, again, I have done more complicated than that but not to get an answer to an issue related to a product doesn't really make me praise the product itself nor the producer, again, not matter of price, it is not like "ok, what you expect for what you paid...?" makes me feel like an early adopter, a paying beta tester.

I wanna change the chip if that helps to solve the click issue but to today both through the forum here and direct contact I still haven't got to know if it would solve the issue

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni68 View Post
    It's not a matter of price, nowadays even your water flush system has an end user upgradable firmware, no big deal if I know I can take off the chip, install a new one and solve the problem, I simply find that to have to send it back or to have to change the chip oneself is anachronistic to say the least but, again, I have done more complicated than that but not to get an answer to an issue related to a product doesn't really make me praise the product itself nor the producer, again, not matter of price, it is not like "ok, what you expect for what you paid...?" makes me feel like an early adopter, a paying beta tester.

I wanna change the chip if that helps to solve the click issue but to today both through the forum here and direct contact I still haven't got to know if it would solve the issue
    You've been told that a later firmware fix will sort this out. Just buy the chip. Install, forget, and enjoy your SEG.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Giovanni.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    You've been told that a later firmware fix will sort this out. Just buy the chip. Install, forget, and enjoy your SEG.
    I have not got any confirmation from the builder itself that it would solve the issue

I'm BaskingInTheTriumphOfRealityOverHope.

I've just had a new Caiman SEG (presumably with the latest FW onboard) with exactly the same problem as the OP; loud sound (a bit like fat static) when playing tracks with differing bitrates / resolutions. Years ago (2014ish), I tried a Bushmaster MKII and experienced the same thing. Another thread on this forum mentions what seems to be the same issue with the Bushmaster TC-7530DC.

When playing consecutive files with the same bitrates / resolutions, the SEG appears to work fine but I have several compilations with differing bitrates etc so, for me, the SEG isn't a keeper and has been returned. Maybe it's fate because an opportunity arose to make the financial equation work for a rather more expensive Denafrips Pontus II... If the Pontus II is even half as good as the feedback from user experiences suggests, I should be very happy!
    Kevin

Main system:
    Sources: EverSolo DMP-A6; Sony UHP-H1 (disc player)
    DAC: Denafrips Pontus II
    Pre amp: Quad Artera Pre (is also the main headphone amp)
    Power amp: Willsenton R8 amp (running JJ E34Ls) / Aiyima A07 (with Sparkos SS3602 Op Amps)
    Speakers: Dynaudio Special 40s with Van Damme UP-LCOFC (4mm) cables
    InterConns: Tellurium Q Black XLR; Morrow Audio MA4 - pre 2018 (analogue RCA); Mark Grant (coax x1); Atlas (coax x1)

I have done a firmware re-write, which sorts out some of the issues that some have had with playing 192KHz tracks. But the clicking during bitrate change is unfortunately a technical problem that is beyond my control. The DAC's input receiver is connected via I2S to the DAC chip. And that I2S connection allows for faster bits transfer than the time it takes for the mute function to engage. If I adjust it for no clicks you'll start getting missing signal errors.
    A lot of designers use the CS8416 input receiver, which uses a different method to deal with incoming signal. But is is not crystal controlled. So jitter is higher by up to 600%!

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni68 View Post
    I had Stan sent an email to which he did reply but no follow up to come to a solution of the issue, I find just fun how in the era of final customer serviceable coffee machine firmware update via USB we have to rely on an EEPROM which no matter how cheap it is but not worth the hassle of a shipping, removing and reinstalling not to add warranty void.

Well, maybe time for somebody else to enjoy my SEG and its Dorado, xmas is over and no need for a xmas tree like lighting setup...
    You sure the click is not coming from your Macmini?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12