+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Network Switch take two

I'm Andrew.

Default Network Switch take two

I had a cheap tp-Link LS108 g switch that I fitted about 18 months ago and just forgot about . Well it died for some reason and will not show any power . So put the connections back direct to the router and still kept having the drop out issues . new switch needed saw the below on e-bay and thought why not . My brother is head of the IT section for Merseyside Health and deals with networks and asking him he said Cisco is a very good make and they are super reliable and used by most business networks . So bought it and it arrived on Friday great packing and really in excellent condition . The difference in build quality from the TP-Link is very noticeable . Bigger unit good metal construction has its own power supply built in just a kettle plug lead . While it is a managed unit the company have reset the unit to factory default and just plugged it in and is working as it should . Network is now super stable no more wobblies and would recomend this as a very good value buy that will just work .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cisco-WS-...53.m2749.l2649

I'm Alastair.

I have a CISCO switch that takes a 12v DC supply, so I use a battery. It also very stable.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Cheers

Alastair

RPI4/PI2AES running PiCorePlayer/LMS-> AQ Carbon AES -> Topping D90 DAC-> Khozomo Passive Pre-Amp -> 4x Temple Audio Monoblocks powered by 2xLiFePO batteries->Van Damme Black Bi-Wired to B&W 804 Nautilus and Sommer Carbokab 225 Interconnects

I'm stuart.

The HP Procurve switches are bullet proof also, these originally came with a lifetime warranty from hp. You can pick them up for buttons on ebay, I bought a 24 port ProCurve J9078A for £16 delivered.
    Garrard 401, Jelco 750 with Shuggie, Ortofon 2M Black / ZYX Yatra 100, Project Phono RS with Sigma22 Linear PS, RPi3 + DigiOne + Linear PS, RPi3/1Tb SSD with PiCorePlayer + Linear PS, Perreaux Eloquence 250i 40th Anniversary with ES9038Pro DAC, DCG3 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 8x2 Pre-Amp, Neurochrome 686 Power amp, Benchmark DAC2 HGC, Primare V25 CD player, Monitor Audio PL300, Sjostrom DCT03 DC Blocker.

I'm Andrew.

Just thought I would post this for anyone interested in giving this a try as this is a real bargain these are £300/£350 units when first sold and they are way above the level of many of the cheap under £50 home switches you can buy . As noted and I bought a second one just to check these are brand new sealed units and include all the manuals a mains lead a console lead everything . Just a heads up though the connection socket from your router is an RJ11 not the usual RJ45 for Ethernet cables . So you will need to buy an RJ11 to RJ45 cable or adaptor so you can connect things up . Please also note that this has a a full internal PSU fitted so you just plug it in no wall wart PSU needed. In case you are also inclined to ignore the manual when you first use it do not connect anything to it except the router switch on the LED's on the left will do a little dance going on going off all lighrting for a few minutes this is the self testing routine and will happen each time the unit is turned off . Once the top two lights are on and steady things are fine plug in what you want and things should be fine .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cisco-WS-...53.m2749.l2649

I'm Andrew.

Apologies for this addition but I have made some errors on the above . There are a couple of versions for the Cisco 2490 and the new ones in the link have two inputs to the right of the bank of eight . Please ignore them these are in fact options for Fibre connection which if you understand and have that ability then you know far more than I do and I will leave you to get on with your work.

In fact on the model above getting it up and working is very simple just connect an ethernet cable from your router to one of the eight inputs then use the other inputs for your equipment you want to connect . Please be a little patient when you connect up the unit does a little bit of a light dance and seems to be doing internal changes but once it settles down and you have all green lights then things are peachy and you can forget about it .

I'm Andrew.

Well installed the second switch downstairs as always with these things bit of pain to get to things but after only a very moderate slice of swearing managed to get the switch installed and wired up to a Netgear Powerline as input and then just connected the TV boxes and my Pi Player to the switch . After the normal watch lights dance as the switch checks itself and then sets up the connections all green lights and done.

Works fine but there is one result I was not expecting on 4k streams/playback there is a decent improvement in the picture it is musch easier to see the hike up in quality that it was before even 1080 has improved . Sound on TV is also lifted as dialogue is clearer and easier to understand sadly this mean BT commentators as well so there is a down side as well . Given the low price this is a really strong recomendation from me and hope thers take advantage .

+ Reply to Thread