+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SME III tonearm 1978

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by pcourtney View Post
    OMG - just read all 61 pages - Pete's Pylons here I come - I have placed a Wanted ad for a Gyrodec - please ask all your friends if they
    have one languishing in the garage and its not been used for 20 years :-)
    Mine is standard and sounds good to my ears.
    I would try in standard form first with the Series III before trying all the mods. It can get a chain reaction with upgrades and all are very subjective. Once you start mods you may want an SME IV and expensive MC to get the best. Can get very costly.
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm Adam.

I love my Gyro SE and the few non-Michell mods I’ve heard for it simply change its character a bit rather than make an ‘improvement’ to my ears. That said, I still haven’t tried out Michell’s newly designed damped springs on mine so must give them a go!

I have to be honest, though, and point out that, if someone with a Gyrodec and an SME III asked me for advice on their best first upgrade, my advice would be “ditch the SME III and fit something better”!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Peter.

Hi Adam, yep, you are right, I have been offered an early AC Gryodec with Transformer arm ( Rega tube, the last thing that Michell did before he sadly passed away) , and so I have aleady given up on using the SME III on one of these iconic decks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12