+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaker cable advice

I'm gerald.

Default Speaker cable advice

I am looking at getting some new speaker cables as I have a set of chord rumour 2s the longet run is about 3.5 metres .My amps are custom built tubed mono blocks, speakers are Dali Zensor 3s. I love the bass but the treble is a touch bright and from what I have read silver can do this on a cable, *please correct me if I am wrong*.
    So I am looking for some new cables I am looking at the Van Damme range and just wondering what diameter would be the best?

I forgot to say I find the bright treble is when streaming my dac is a Beresford tc7530 it is fed with a Raspberry Pi3 that runs to thedac via a five metre toslink lead, all my interconnect`s are Klotz mc 5000 at present but I do have a few sets of other make interconnect’s, could that be the issue ??

I'm Neil.

Dalis have a bit of a bright house sound. Silver-plated copper could slightly exasperate this, in my experience the silver plating does add a bit of 'toppiness' to the sound.

I'd recommend trying some of the 2.5mm Van Damme UP-LCOFC.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I’d also recommend the UP-LCOFC, but go for the 6mm from Mark Grant. Absolutely cracking cables, all the cable you’ll ever need.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by diviy View Post
    I am looking at getting some new speaker cables as I have a set of chord rumour 2s the longet run is about 3.5 metres .My amps are custom built tubed mono blocks, speakers are Dali Zensor 3s. I love the bass but the treble is a touch bright and from what I have read silver can do this on a cable, *please correct me if I am wrong*.
    So I am looking for some new cables I am looking at the Van Damme range and just wondering what diameter would be the best?

I forgot to say I find the bright treble is when streaming my dac is a Beresford tc7530 it is fed with a Raspberry Pi3 that runs to thedac via a five metre toslink lead, all my interconnect`s are Klotz mc 5000 at present but I do have a few sets of other make interconnect’s, could that be the issue ??
    Could be worth a try, are highly recommended.

http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/store/speaker/index.htm

£156 for two 5M speaker runs plus P&P of Belden bi-wire 10 gauge for bass and 12 gauge for mid/top with locking bananas, or just go for 10 gauge not bi-wired.

or

£117 for two 5M speaker runs plus P&P of Canare bi-wired with locking bananas

From what I have read the Belden is good!
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Josh.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Could be worth a try, are highly recommended.

http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/store/speaker/index.htm

£156 for two 5M speaker runs plus P&P of Belden bi-wire 10 gauge for bass and 12 gauge for mid/top with locking bananas, or just go for 10 gauge not bi-wired.

or

£117 for two 5M speaker runs plus P&P of Canare bi-wired with locking bananas

From what I have read the Belden is good!
    I heard the same, so I added a bunch of it to my basket for an upcoming home cinema build and was floored by the shipping/customs charges (£500... as much as the cable itself), so currently considering other options.

Belden availability in the UK seems a bit ropey in general... even with the shipping charge it seems pretty cost effective compared to more "hi-fi" makes but the thought of spending hundreds to move it from A to B just irks me.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_Tad View Post
    I heard the same, so I added a bunch of it to my basket for an upcoming home cinema build and was floored by the shipping/customs charges (£500... as much as the cable itself), so currently considering other options.

Belden availability in the UK seems a bit ropey in general... even with the shipping charge it seems pretty cost effective compared to more "hi-fi" makes but the thought of spending hundreds to move it from A to B just irks me.
    I actually just checked out the site I posted http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/store/speaker/index.htm and 4m of cable with plugs shipping cost was quoted as £22.95 FEDEX. So certainly not that costly, maybe you ordered rather a lot and the weight came into play.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm charles.

Consider trying Duelund 12 gauge oil impregnated cotton covered tinned copper. These fortunately sound best when used without terminals, making for outstanding value.

There are many glowing reports/reviews online, some preferring them to cables costing many times more. I temporarily had some QED Silver Anniversary speaker cables doing duty which I replaced with the Duelunds. A difference was expected but I was not prepared for an improvement of this magnitude.

I bought them, on sale, from Parts Connexion in Canada. The parcel which contained some other kit delivered to Ireland was not expensive and incurred no tax. I can't remember the amount but including post it was cheaper than buying from the UK.

My garden-hose sized 3.7m/12ft. Harmonic Technology Pro 9(9AWG) cables are a little better in a few areas (a more immersive experience and greater purity of tone) but at much greater cost. I will sell these because they are too short now. They did not shrink in the wash just do not fit the rearranged living room.

PM me for a price on the HT Pro 9 if you're interested.

I'm Josh.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I actually just checked out the site I posted http://www.bluejeanscable.co.uk/store/speaker/index.htm and 4m of cable with plugs shipping cost was quoted as £22.95 FEDEX. So certainly not that costly, maybe you ordered rather a lot and the weight came into play.
    Well that is interesting, must be the weight - did yours add customs as well?

I had 150m in total so weight was absolutely be a factor. £22 is far more reasonable - surprised it scales like that.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_Tad View Post
    Well that is interesting, must be the weight - did yours add customs as well?

I had 150m in total so weight was absolutely be a factor. £22 is far more reasonable - surprised it scales like that.
    No customs fee added as uk site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gerald.

Thanks all my brother spoke to his brother in law that runs a company that supplies pa systems for a lot of the major concerts and events around London has sent me
    Van Damme Black Series Tour Grade 4x2.50mm Cable, Multicore so if it good enough for international and british rock groups it should be ok for my humble system

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast