+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage turntable Suggestions please

I'm Jerry.

Default Vintage turntable Suggestions please

I haven't been on or visited the forum for a few months as I moved house and then went down a sonos multi room route and sold most of my separates.

That has all changed as I sold all the Sonos gear and am now looking to put together a couple of systems again using used gear.

I didn't sell my vinyl or CD's thankfully!

I have just bought a pair of Castle Richmond speakers (not arrived yet!) and an A&R Cambridge amp (just arrived) and am looking for a turntable to go with them in a listening room.

I also recently bought a Cambridge 340se amp and some KEF 902 speakers for a TV/Film room with a google chromecast and a projector and screen. For netflix etc.

I am working to a budget of a few hundred pounds as I won't be working until the new year and would welcome any ideas or suggestions please.

I have been looking on ebay at used turntables but am not familiar with many of them so don't want to gamble on something without advice.

Thank you
    Regards
    Jerry

SYSTEM under construction

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Garrard 401 would be a good choice imo.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm John.

An Ariston RD80 or RD80SL would fit the bill, they rugularly come up on fleabay for £200 - £300 and are very good with great SQ. In the same vein there is the Systemdeck 900/900iix.
    If your just looking for a very good but cheap deck then a Pioneer PL12D takes a lot of beating in the £100 - £150 range, far better than a Rega, P2/Revolver or lower end Pro-Ject.
    Cartridge wise (if one not already fitted) look at the Goldring E3 or AT VM95 range

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk
    Money may not make me happy.
    But it helps me afford the kind of misery I prefer.

SYSTEM 1:

Analogue.
    Brinkmann Bardo / 12" OL Enterprise Mk4 / Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum /BigBottle mk3 /MFA Baby Reference Pre/Nord One UP SE NC500M/Martin Logan Summit

Digital.
    Docet Lector CDP-7TL mkiii/Pimped Bluesound Node2 + BOTW SBooster Lps/ Pimped Mk1 Jolida Fx Glass DAC.

Wires etc.
    Audioplan Musicable ICs & TQ Black ll SC, assorted branded kettle leads.
    Target TT shelf & Alphason 5 shelf rack.
    Power Inspired AG1500S mains regen.

SYSTEM 2: Back to the 80s.

Garrard 401, RB250, A&R P77Mg / Mk1 Marantz CD63 SE / Sony TC-FX150 / Sansui T500L / Cambridge Audio C50 + 2x A50 as bridged monos (mid 80s Stan Curtis's design) / or KEF 104ab/ Original 80s Monster Cable IC, DNM SC / Target 5 shelf rack.

SPARE KIT:
    A&R E77Mg
    Ortofon 2M Silver + Blue stylus
    Philips CD600
    Arcam Alpha 8P
    Pro-Ject DacBox S FL
    CCA
    FiiO Taishan
    Heybrook HB1 S2
    Q Acoustics 3050

I'm Jerry.

This is just the info I wanted.
    Thanks both.
    I know the Gerrard 401 as I had a 301 a few years ago.
    The Arsitons and Systemdek I hadn't heard of so will check those out.
    The Pioneer PL12D takes me back to my youth as my parents had one of those.
    Regards
    Jerry

I'm guy.

Thirty odd years ago I listened to quite a few turntables; if I hadn't bought an LP12 I would have bought one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SYSTEMDEK...EAAOSwV~lfzkZC

There are some others with "buy it now", but I wouldn't go for the one with the Akito (I have heard that they are not too reliable)
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Rockabilly.

Default Turning Japanese

If you want direct drive, and what right-minded person would not, then you'll find a Trio/Kenwood KD-3070 for less than £200. Spend the remainder of your budget on an AT cartridge and you'll be rockin' until you can stretch to the 401.
    Johnny Dodgem.

Cartridges vintage MMs including Pickering xsv-4000/xsv-3000 : Stanton 881s/D81 : AT140LC/VMN40ML
    Spinners hot rod 1210 (Jelco 750D, Origami, Ammonite, Longdog, Vantage, Achromats) : Pye G63 & Garrard AT6 : Two full custom Lencos : Kenwood KD-650D
    Streaming Qobuz : BluOS & Node2 (Fidelity Audio modified) : RME ADI-2 DAC
    Pre-amps Tron Seven (GT modified) : Conrad Johnson EV1 : Croft Micro 25 : Decware ZStage
    Power Amps PrimaLuna ProLogue 5 (KT120) : PrimaLuna ProLogue 4 (KT77)
    Speakers The Edingdale : Meadowlark Hot Rod Shearwater

I'm Dan.

I have to disagree on the Garrard. Every one I've seen has either needed an inordinate amount work, or was priced well out of budget.
    I've seen some beautiful examples, and your budget wouldn't come close, and I've worked on a few that needed some serious TLC and the work alone wouldn't be covered by your budget.
    The Ariston, or Systemdek tables mentioned would be good choices. You might also be able to score a Linn Axis in your price range.

I'm Jerry.

Thank you for the further suggestions everyone.

Much appreciated.

I have no idea about going direct drive or belt drive at the moment and will investigate all the options.

I am now watching a few systemdeks online.

Collecting the turntable may be an issue as i am not sure they would post well.
    Regards
    Jerry

I'm Shane.

Time for my usual TT2 plug!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154243126944

Not sure if the acrylic arm board on this one brings anything to the party, although a few people have tried it and liked it. Looks pretty enough. You’ll need an arm with Rega geometry to go with it.
    Last edited by shane; 15-12-2020 at 08:34.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Mike.

I'm a bit biased but you can't look much further than a Rega, simple bomb proof deck with great SQ

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast