+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Klotz vs RFC

I'm Bruce.

Default Klotz vs RFC

I picked up a couple Klotc AC110 with Neutrik Rean RCA plugs for use in my headphone system, pretty nice sound at a silly price with infinite option in lengths. What's not to like and people here have enthused about their quality. But perhaps this is a different plug than Brian uses? I have noticed while moving the IC daily between the desktop speaker amp and the headphone amp that the Rean grip is not overly strong and I wonder how long it will hold up well?

I was auditioning the ifi Zen DAC and Topping E30 with these and liked the ifi Zen a bit more for having a little better portrayal of space and dimension but both were impressive DACS for the £100-130 range. But I really wanted to hear the Schiit Modi Multibit, so returned those and bought a used Mimby & a Douk XU208 USB>SPDIF converter. Yes here was the sense of space and musicality was what I was looking for, a real step better than the others though at 2x the cost. BTW, by the time of the Mimby I was using RFC Pluto IC with KLE Harmony plugs. All is good.

When I fettled the cables I switched back to the more succinct length of the Klotz and proceeded with life and work in the age of Covid 19. But after a couple of weeks the sense that I was missing something in the music kept intruding into my consciousness. Is the dimenionality less than what I thought when I first plumbed the Mimby? Are the piano tones slightly duller? Maybe it was just expectation bias with the Schiit multibit and it wasn't as good or different as I thought?

Wait, I auditioned the Schiit Mimby using the RFC Pluto between the DAC and amp. Let's fish that out and put it back in service... right! The tone improved, the presentation gained more depth and sense of the 3D nature of the instruments and the space they were playing in. It is as good as I first thought and the cable was a significant part of the chain. I wonder where the MC5000 and MS plug would fit in between these two cables in the portrayal of music?
    Last edited by brucew268; 12-12-2020 at 19:23.
    Bruce

Theories are not so much answers as questions, to be supported or undermined by experience & testing.

Source: Audiolab 6000CDT > Calyx 24/192 DAC
    Amplification: Pass-design B1rev2 pre-amplifier > Neurochrome Modulus 686.
    Loudspeakers: Proac Response 1SC
    Cables/stands: spkr: MIT MH-750 biwire; IC: HT Truthlink; Target stands, sand-filled; Excel Cat6A 23AWG UFTP & 1attack.de Cat.7 SFTP.
    Other: Balanced AC transformer to hydra mains distr; Bass traps & Acoustic panels; Isolation: Inner tube & roller bearings; 3xZyxel ES104A switches in series w/Vreg upgrades.

I'm Phil.

used the rfc pluto for some years pre power with a pretty decent power amp. great cable . RFC makes some great stuff
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm jamie.

agreed,buy a pair of rfc venus and forget about interconnects!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Adam.

+1
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

+ Reply to Thread