+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new cartridge: trouble setting up

Default new cartridge: trouble setting up

I recently bought a 1210 and i got a sumiko headshell and a denon 110 and fitted them today- my first attempt at anything turntable related

I don't have tracking scales or a protractor or anything but until then is there a simple way of getting the most out of my stuff??

I've sorted the arm height so it's flat and fitted the cartridge to 52mm which i think is right.. I've tried the cart both with and without the added weight which comes with it. I'm not sure which i prefer but it is much more difficult to float the arm and get the counterweight right when it is fitted- but i've heard denons prefer more weight so maybe i should turn the weight around or something? At the moment it can't go much further back

I'm confused about how much weight to 'add' with the counterweight once the arm is floating; the cart without the added weight is 4.8g- should i add that?

If i post a photo will it be easier to advise?

MartinT Guest

Without a protractor the only way you can set the cartridge alignment is by measuring the pivot-to-stylus length (difficult) or the overhang past the turntable spindle (easier). In either case, you will need the arm specs to know which measurement to use. Then make sure the cartridge is pointing straight in the headshell.

Once you have balanced out the arm, zero the tracking weight wheel and then set the recommended tracking weight as in the Denon specs. Note it's tracking weight you want not the cartridge's weight.

pop over to the vinyl engine, you can download and print a protractor to ensure you have the cart set properly. When you have checked that and balanced the arm, you need to apply the correct VTF (downforce) for the denon to track.(go in the middle to top of the suggested weight) The technics manual should tell you how to get close enough untill you can lay hands a balance. The 110 will be fine without the extra weight I would think, it is on Rega based arms anyway.

The 110 is a superb cart, proably one of the best real world sub £230 ish carts on the market. (I know it costs a lot less than that)
    Sod the hi-fi, listen to the music

I'm InSpace.

Have look around on here: http://repairny.com/do-it-yourself-r...ge-set-up.html

It refers to 'DJ setup' but you'll get the general idea.

Have fun!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Thanks for the quick reply.. what do you mean by arm specs?
    I have seen pictures online of people using the 1210 with cartridges angled quite heavily in the headshell... should i ignore this phenomenon?
    Aha with your help i have conquered the mystery of tracking weight!!! 1.8g. Thanks! Should the anti-skate be set at this also?

I'm InSpace.

Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

when you have a protractor the alignment thing will become clear.http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge...tractors.shtml
    technics one is near bottom of page
    Sod the hi-fi, listen to the music

Cheers for other replies also- i'll get reading...

Thanks colin, i'm very happy with it now, for a while it was hit and miss depending on the record but it's settling down a bit, definitely more detailed than what i'm used to, in a good way

setting the tracking weight has already sorted out the bass problem- it was either non-existant or boomy before and there was lots of rumble, now it's back to how it should be!

EDIT: i've bookmarked those for later mike, thanks!

Colin are you sure that's the right link LOL
    Last edited by fraser.; 02-01-2009 at 21:06.

I'm InSpace.

That link brings up an entirely different topic here Colin!

Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

pmsl!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast